No announcement yet.

Microsoft Announces Direct3D 12 For Linux / WSL2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, it escalates in some way (on DRI-devel) about driver (without OSS userland) inclusion in general.

And Daniel is rightâ„¢. --- Think about first AMD radeon stuff etc.

Comment

Originally posted by nuetzel View Post

Here is is the first response from Greg KH:
      https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...ay/266634.html
      Now, Dave had some coffee...
      ...popcorn time.
      Last edited by nuetzel; 19 May 2020, 08:51 PM. Reason: I had the wrong link - during radeonsi driver debugging.

Comment

Microsoft says it can't bring DX12 to Windows 7 because it's too different so it's too hard, but they bring it to Linux ?
        Microsoft is so full of shit that makes me puke every time I hear about a new move they made!
        Microsoft, GTFO with your garbage moves trying to destroy open source and everything that is good in this world!

Comment

Holy crap, I had to do a double-take reading that headline. Good or bad, I didn't think they'd make this move in a million years.

Comment

MS is clearly targeting the growing (but small and high specialized) Linux Workstation share.

Strange that Canonical and Red Hat don't do nothing and, quietly, see their investments in GNOME go to waste.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

None of those were valid reasons when I made the switch circa 2001.

- WinXP has a Fisher-Price designed GUI
              - WinXP is not Win2K

That's basically it.

If my first impressions of XP would have included Royale Noir I might have tolerated XP over looking up themes and wondering what these Gnome and Debian things were all about. **Insert the mandatory Gnome has a Fisher-Price tablet UI joke here**
              I stayed on my existing Win98SE install for years because of that Fisher-Price "Luna" GUI. (And, yes, the WinXP boot option in my stable of retrocomputing machines uses Royale Noir.)

I wound up getting fed up with Windows XP for other reasons and ditching my "Litestep on top of XP" desktop for Mandrakelinux 10.0 in 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by lowlands View Post

A much better development team than what? A bunch of Orks? Microsoft developer teams are nothing to be proud of judging from their security track record.
                I'm always reminded of tales of how interactions at conferences show that the Samba developers understand SMB/CIFS better than the official Microsoft SMB/CIFS developers.

(Which probably explains why it always seems easiest to get Linux to talk to Linux with Samba, followed by Linux and Windows talking to each other, with Windows-to-Windows being the most prone to mysterious failures.)

Comment

Originally posted by Blahblah View Post
                  Holy crap, I had to do a double-take reading that headline. Good or bad, I didn't think they'd make this move in a million years.
                  The headline (and article) makes it seem as if this is "DX12 for Linux" but the developer has said the following on LKML:

I'll explain below why we had to pipe DX12 all the way into the Linux guest, but this is *not* to introduce DX12 into the Linux world as competition. There is no intent for anyone in the Linux world to start coding for the DX12 API.
                  So this sounds like just hardware enablement for WSL2 and nothing of any value for people using Linux the proper way.
                  Last edited by JustinTurdeau; 19 May 2020, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinTurdeau View Post

So this sounds like just hardware enablement for WSL2 and nothing of any value for people using Linux the proper way.
                    you win the correct conclusion cookie, as opposed to OMG DX12 on my desktop nuts.

Comment

What I hope to see this do is cause some developers to target Linux first and just say no to API fragmentation on Windows.

No need to develop for Win32, UWP, .NET, etc. anymore. Just develop with a Linux target via GTK, QT, SDL, etc and it will automatically work on Windows when WSL is enabled.

Comment

Working...
                      X