Microsoft Announces Direct3D 12 For Linux / WSL2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"the Direct3D 12 library for Linux will be closed-source"

this means they leared nothing they are still on the wrong side of history.
    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

They won't. I don't think they will ever opensource D3D. They are looking into making Windows a Linux distro, but obviously they want their proprietary stuff on top of the kernel. It is the same approach Apple used with BSD. Windows NT kernel is old and garbage. They are moving here.
      I don't really care about them open sourcing D3D. More like dropping that junk and starting using Vulkan everywhere instead. Nothing stops them from doing it, except them being typical lock-in pushers and hypocrites, claiming how they now like open source and switched from the wrong side of history.
      Last edited by shmerl; 19 May 2020, 02:05 PM.

Comment

This must be a joke! libd3d12.so!!!

This is the final step before they destroy the Linux ecosystem and everything goes down.

It is clear Microsoft still thinks that Linux is a cancer, and they only love them because they wanted to get them inside until they were able to destroy them from the core.

This is obviously EEE and IRA (infiltrate, redirect and absorb) at its highest point. Bringing a Windows graphics API and force-binding it to Windows only, with no Linux implementation.

- They infiltrated us, with "Microsoft loves Linux".
        - They redirected us to make a bad decision: accept them in the Linux board and send Canonical to hell.
        - They are now trying to absorb us:
        - Bought GitHub
        - Embrace: WSL/WSL2 and the big "we're wrong on open-source" announcement
        - Extend: This d3d12.so bullcrap in an attempt to force Linux to become Windows-only
        - Extinguish: People will just use WSL at the end because it is easier than installing Linux. Effectively kills Linux on the desktop and in turn destroys Valve and Feral.

You know what? This should be the breaking point. No more Windows-shoving-down-throat stuff to Linux.

Somebody needs to do something and stop this madness from happening!
        Last edited by tildearrow; 19 May 2020, 04:14 PM. Reason: oops :p

Comment

Originally posted by harakiru View Post
          This is very worrying news for freedom and Gnu/Linux. I hope developers and users see the long lasting implications of their choices and use Vulkan instead of directx. We must reject non-free standards. This is no doubt an evil concocted plan by microsoft to "Embrace - Extend - Extinguish".
          Worrying news for what reason? GNU/Linux will forever be free. It is GPL. Oh, you mean you are scared that you will lose marketshare to Microsoft? Linux will lose its dominant position on the desktop?

There is no fear. Yes it is pretty clear Microsoft is moving slowly but steadily on Linux and opensource foundations. But they are going to keep using their stuff. And 95% of the desktop market will keep using their OS whether it is NT based or Linux based.

Comment

I was quite surprised there for a moment, I thought we were going to have native DX12. But quite frankly, it'd be better if Vulkan adoption kept on growing and most developers opted for Vulkan. And that does seems to be the direction as way more independent Vulkan projects exist than DX12 ones.

Comment

Now Microsoft will bring forth the era of Linux desktop, and all the edgy kewl hipster reddit kids will move back to Windows 10, when it becomes old, niche and unsupported enough. LOL.

I see this as a win.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                This must be a joke! libd3d12.so!!!

This is the final step before they destroy the Linux ecosystem and everything goes down.

It is clear Microsoft still thinks that Linux is a cancer, and they only love them because they wanted to get them inside until they were able to destroy them from the core.

This is obviously EEE and IRA (infiltrate, redirect and absorb) at its highest point. Bringing a Windows graphics API and force-binding it to Windows only, with no Linux implementation.

- They infiltrated us, with "Microsoft loves Linux".
                - They redirected us to make a bad decision: accept them in the Linux board and send Canonical to hell.
                - They are now trying to absorb us:
                - Bought GitHub
                - Embrace: WSL/WSL2 and the big "we're wrong on open-source" announcement
                - Extend: This d3d12.so bullcrap in an attempt to force Linux to become Windows-only
                - Extinguish: People will just use WSL at the end because it is easier than installing Windows. Effectively kills Linux on the desktop and in turn destroys Valve and Feral.
                You know what? This should be the breaking point. No more Windows-shoving-down-throat stuff to Linux.

Somebody needs to do something and stop this madness from happening!
                but remember... you did not get the point about CLA-WAR...

this all is the same as CLA-WAR... to fool FLOSS peopl and make them Coding slaves to turn it into closed source software.

but you are still a CLA friend. now what? you changed mind? no... you still not get it.
                Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
                  but nowadays I'm wishing evince on Windows just because the Acrobat reader s**ks in every way except for a few corner cases (e.g., DRM)
                  Evince is typically the first thing you remove after a fresh install, it's so horrible and limited it's not even good for "basic".
                  I usually replace it straight away with something a bit more advanced, such as Foxit or even qpdfview.

Originally posted by EarthMind View Post
                  While it's good to see more support coming to Linux, in reality it will probably not mean much for the average linux desktop user. We were really excited about unigine having great linux support, we were really excited about Unreal engine offering Linux support,... In the end these middleware coming to Linux - while a good first step -, don't bring big change to Linux. What did make and still makes a big impact is amdgpu, Vulkan, DXVK and Proton. These things deserve all the focus.
                  Proton did absolutely nothing compared to Unigine, Unreal, vulkan or amdgpu. These brought actual games to Linux, not some half-assed band-aid solution. They started a trend, that led to Steam on Linux and many good things for Linux gaming. Proton might on the contrary ruin all these efforts.

Fortunately, I don't think WSL2 will take on much outside the developers/infra/arch world. I would really enjoy using Linux apps at work but most IT departments won't let it be installed for operational agents/the business side, so I don't have a single hope of ever seeing Linux GUI apps on my work machine. And I have no use case for Windows at home.
                  Last edited by Mez'; 19 May 2020, 02:22 PM. Reason: Why does the word "love" always have your messages unapproved? I don't understand how that word could be a threat to a forum.

Comment

I hope for the imminent Linux Microsoft operating system so to switch to Windows again. Microsoft has a much better development team so to realize an excellent Linux operating system.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                      so I don't have a single hope of ever seeing Linux GUI apps on my work machine. And I have no use case for Windows at home.
                      Nothing wrong with that. Getting something to stick in a closet would be a lame reason to get something.

Comment

Working...
                      X