Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is is the first response from Greg KH:

Comment

So what is there to benefit for us the (native) Linux users? Can we use this library to develop native-linux d3d apps? Or is this only going to work for wsl2-linux-in-vm users ? If it is only the latter, then we have reached indeed the "extend" phase of "embrace-extend-extinquish".

Comment

Originally posted by C8292 View Post
        • There are a lot of machine-learning libs that are linux-only
        • Developers need to develop
        • They move to linux
        • Cycle repeats
        • Microsoft needs to stop the desktop-developers users bleed
        • how?
        • we need to keep developers on windows
        • support GPU on WSL so that developers keep using windows desktop on linux libs

this is the only reason i see here for this to happen
        Guys.
        Could you image 10 years ago I had to install acrobat on Linux to read PDFs smoothly, but nowadays I'm wishing evince on Windows just because the Acrobat reader s**ks in every way except for a few corner cases (e.g., DRM)

They are LOSING advantages on desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post

wrong

people move to linux because:

- win10 is giant slow and bloated piece of crap
          - win10 is a spyware
          - NTFS is slow

Microsoft killed their desktop developpers because they gave up with desktop, look at all the crappy stack they push, UWP, XAML, MSIX, C# dotnet core, all that crap is responsible of the desktop dev bleed

They all moved to macOS because APIs are nicer, they got a better statically AOT compiled language (Swift), there is a real App Store, and everything is butter smooth and efficient
          Same for linux, everything there is smooth
          None of those were valid reasons when I made the switch circa 2001.

- WinXP has a Fisher-Price designed GUI
          - WinXP is not Win2K

That's basically it.

If my first impressions of XP would have included Royale Noir I might have tolerated XP over looking up themes and wondering what these Gnome and Debian things were all about. **Insert the mandatory Gnome has a Fisher-Price tablet UI joke here**

Comment

While it's good to see more support coming to Linux, in reality it will probably not mean much for the average linux desktop user. We were really excited about unigine having great linux support, we were really excited about Unreal engine offering Linux support,... In the end these middleware coming to Linux - while a good first step -, don't bring big change to Linux. What did make and still makes a big impact is amdgpu, Vulkan, DXVK and Proton. These things deserve all the focus.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
              Embrace - Extend - Extinquish

Are we now at part 2?
              Eek Yes! It looks like their partner with NVIDIA is going to ensure that if you need CUDA GPU / compute workload in a POSIX environment, you use Microsoft WSL, *not* Linux.

Wow, this is a clear example of Microsoft EEE! The fact that they *own* the primary FOSS gateway (GitHub) is just the laughable icing on this cake.

We should also be taking notes of who in these communities is a "Microsoft has changed! They are now warm and fuzzy" apologist fool so we know who to ostracize in future
              Last edited by kpedersen; 19 May 2020, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
                Guys.
                Could you image 10 years ago I had to install acrobat on Linux to read PDFs smoothly, but nowadays I'm wishing evince on Windows just because the Acrobat reader s**ks in every way except for a few corner cases (e.g., DRM)

They are LOSING advantages on desktop.
                Lol. I got pissed off the other night when I realized that Ark wasn't available on Windows 10 so I had to settle with PeaZip and Izarc.

Comment

Not impressed, especially since it's a blob. Let them start using Vulkan, instead of spreading DX junk to Linux kernel, which is a clear example of EEE.
                  Last edited by shmerl; 19 May 2020, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Remember how many times i have posted, for years now, that Microsoft plan is to make Windows a Linux distro with Microsoft userland? And they are going to port things like D3D? See?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                      Not impressed, especially since it's a blob. Let them start using Vulkan, instead of spreading DX junk to Linux kernel, which is a clear example of EEE.
                      They won't. I don't think they will ever opensource D3D. They are looking into making Windows a Linux distro, but obviously they want their proprietary stuff on top of the kernel. It is the same approach Apple used with BSD. Windows NT kernel is old and garbage. They are moving here.

Comment

Working...
                      X