Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zink GL-Over-Vulkan Now Supports Conditional Rendering - Stepping Towards OpenGL 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    when dxvk is faster than driver, driver can do same thing and become even faster, i.e. it's just a slow driver(if it's not "faster by skipping some parts of rendering"). when driver is faster, dxvk can't do anything because its overhead is unavoidable
    Its not that straight forwards. Windows DX11 is not just the driver you have abstraction layer on top of the driver as well. Overhead I agree is unavoidable.

dxvk as an abstraction layer with the 20%+- comparing vulkan speed under it look to be ball part Windows DX11 abstraction layer overhead if not a bit better. So I class near windows performance as a valid claim. Issue mostly being quality of drivers under it.

Opengl is another abstraction layer so it should be possible with opengl to vulkan to get to close to the same level of overhead as straight opengl causes.

Remember dxvk knows that its going to vulkan. Windows DX abstraction layers have to presume they are going to WDDM 1.0+ so there are different structures here that may or may not be as well optimised for the task.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      your excitement stems from cluelessness. zink is gallium backend, all its opengi is gallium opengl frontend, there's no other opengl in modern mesa opengl drivers. so by removing it you will remove opengl part of zink.
      I specifically wrote "things like Zink". But thank you for your kind and helpful response!

Comment

Working...
      X