Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 20.1 Feature Development Ends With RC1 Released

Phoronix: Mesa 20.1 Feature Development Ends With RC1 Released

Mesa 20.1 feature development is now over with it being branched from Git master and subsequently Mesa 20.1-RC1 being released this evening...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As someone who doesn't ride git anymore (too many things broke randomly), Woo new shinies incoming!

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
      As someone who doesn't ride git anymore (too many things broke randomly), Woo new shinies incoming!
      Yeah i don't understand why most people would run git either, aside from testing obviously (or if there is a very important development for their hardware). It is not like Mesa stable is that much worse, and 3 months is not too long to wait between stable versions. You don't get a lot of new shinies with blobs on Windows either with most driver updates, just bugfixing and official support for newer titles.

Anyway i agree 20.1 seems great. Perfect for summer gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Yeah i don't understand why most people would run git either, aside from testing obviously (or if there is a very important development for their hardware). It is not like Mesa stable is that much worse, and 3 months is not too long to wait between stable versions. You don't get a lot of new shinies with blobs on Windows either with most driver updates, just bugfixing and official support for newer titles.

Anyway i agree 20.1 seems great. Perfect for summer gaming.
        it was harder for me to find a mesa stable ppa than a mesa git ppa!

and, as someone from downunder - I am getting into some winter gaming!

Comment

it was harder for me to find a mesa stable ppa than a mesa git ppa!

and, as someone from downunder - I am getting into some winter gaming!
          That is what Archlinux is for. The latest upstream releases without ppas.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

That is what Archlinux is for. The latest upstream releases without ppas.
            Is all good, I am more comfortable in the land of debian - *smiles and waves over the fence*

Comment

First it would be good to clean all issues.
              At the moment is opened more than 2k issues https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues

Comment

Is all good, I am more comfortable in the land of debian - *smiles and waves over the fence*
                Debian? *shudders*

Comment

Well can't have a thread like this without a Fedora user waving at all of the "alternative distro" users out there.

In all seriousness though Fedora 32 is much better on AMD hardware than Fedora 31 and I attribute much of that to better drivers from the updated Mesa. I'm sure the other parts help but while there are still issues with stability I'm not even sure now that they are GPU driver issues.

Comment

Originally posted by kloczek View Post
                    First it would be good to clean all issues.
                    At the moment is opened more than 2k issues https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues
                    Well it would be a shock to see all issues cleaned up, there are certainly more than one would like though. In the case of a user like me an AMD GPU user Mesa is certainly far better than it was when Navi first came out. Do I wish things would happen faster - certainly - but mesa gets better with every release.

Comment

Working...
                    X