No announcement yet.

Shared Virtual Memory Lands In Mesa Gallium3D's "Clover" OpenCL Implementation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shared Virtual Memory Lands In Mesa Gallium3D's "Clover" OpenCL Implementation

Phoronix: Shared Virtual Memory Lands In Mesa Gallium3D's "Clover" OpenCL Implementation

After being in code review the past half-year, support for Shared Virtual Memory (SVM) within Gallium3D's "Clover" OpenCL state tracker was just merged for Mesa 20.1...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if this work is related to Nvidia's "big Linux announcement" as I am not sure why Red Hat would put so much ressources into Clover, HMM and other parts of the stack if Nvidia wouldn't provide the blobs which you need to make any practical use of this? By the way, wasn't this big announcement supposed to happen in March? Are there any follow ups on that front, Michael?

Comment

Even though AMD does not contribute to Clover anymore, doesn't this work still benefit AMD's MESA driver as well? It is still somewhat usable. Though to be honest i don't understand why they are working to implement 2.0 features when even 1.1 support is lacking in Clover.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
        I wonder if this work is related to Nvidia's "big Linux announcement" as I am not sure why Red Hat would put so much ressources into Clover, HMM and other parts of the stack if Nvidia wouldn't provide the blobs which you need to make any practical use of this? By the way, wasn't this big announcement supposed to happen in March? Are there any follow ups on that front, Michael?
        Nothing that I have to announce at the moment, but now that they weren't rushed for GTC, it may be a few months before an announcement...
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Nothing that I have to announce at the moment, but now that they weren't rushed for GTC, it may be a few months before an announcement...
          we (and I) speculate for stuff like this for like 10 years.
          Also the firmware situation with AMD hardware just opened a opportunity for NVIDIA means AMD does tiny&small firmware
          Nvidia could do big-firmware. i wrote about this month or even years ago.
          there is a possibility that they just move everything what is closed source into the firmware.
          by this they could claim they have same level of opensource drivers like amd because closed source firmware is closed source firmware. and in the end they could hide all their closed source secrets inside the firmware.
          Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
            I don't think that nouveau is the intended user of Clover, just its showcase.

It would not be the first time that a Mesa project starts out targeting certain hardware, only to find that it forms the basis of a driver for completely different hardware, like ANV and RADV.

Clover might end up providing a good basis for an OpenCL driver for a lot of ARM SoCs, which would be very beneficial indeed!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

GTC was digital this year.
              Register now. Streamed online. March 18-21, 2024.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                Right, but not all of the original presentations planned GTC talks were done for GTC Digital, the open-source talk included.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

If this is for anything, it'd be Vulkan related to MGPU, outside of just OpenCL compute use.

Comment

What about image support? Is it still not working?
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                    X