Mesa OpenGL Threading Enabled For More Games Yielding Sizable Performance Jumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
    I don't believe this. A game being multithreaded has nothing to do with the gpu driver being multithreaded. As far as i know glthread is about making MESA multithreaded, not the game. Why would that drop performance (barring some specific cases)?
    I actually remember that post as well, and it does make sense under some circumstances. If your game has a thread dedicated to submitting OpenGL calls and doing literally nothing else, and that thread already isn't saturated, then there's not necessarily anything to gain from offloading the actual OpenGL driver work to yet another thread - in fact, any additional thread synchronization may hurt it.

That said, someone should benchmark whether this actually hurts performance in practice.

Comment

Originally posted by cute2dgirl View Post
      If your game has a thread dedicated to submitting OpenGL calls and doing literally nothing else, and that thread already isn't saturated, then there's not necessarily anything to gain from offloading the actual OpenGL driver work to yet another thread - in fact, any additional thread synchronization may hurt it.
      opengl driver is spread over more than 2 threads. described game thread can only replace top-level "submit to subthread", but not any threads further in the pipeline(i'm not sure how many threads subj implies, certainly not all of them though)

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

When this was new, a Feral developer jumped in the forums to explain this is not needed in their ports, because they already do it internally. And this can in fact drop performance on games that do not need it.
        Even so, I'm trying it on XCOM:EW (Feral port) and it feels a lot smoother, even with a 3700X which is not a weak CPU. I'll have to test it properly a bit more to be sure, though.

Edit: tried again loading the same scene and didn't notice any difference with or without the flag.
        Last edited by ResponseWriter; 04 April 2020, 06:08 PM.

Comment

I've added it now as well to my /etc/environment variables. Sounds like a good improvement, hope it works well :-)

Comment

Off-topic: The game is actually called X3 Albion Prelude.

Comment

@phoronix
              Typo: close the </em> at the end of article, otherwise the comments count gets displayed in italics.
              Cheers!

Comment

Anyone tried this with OpenMW yet to see if it has an effect?

Comment

How to enable it??? Should i add mesa_glthread=true in /etc/enviroment like RADV_PERFTEST=aco if enabling aco compiler??? If any body can tell me what it should look like

Comment

Working...
                  X