Microsoft + Collabora Working To Map OpenGL/OpenCL Over DirectX 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft + Collabora Working To Map OpenGL/OpenCL Over DirectX 12

Phoronix: Microsoft + Collabora Working To Map OpenGL/OpenCL Over DirectX 12

Microsoft and Collabora are today announcing a partnership for building OpenCL and OpenGL mapping layers over DirectX (D3D12)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

...they should rather contribute to the DX to Vulkan layer. Or dont they "we love linux" ?

Comment

Really?!

Why not improve the OpenGL to Vulkan mappers instead? This feels like a waste of time if it is done using DirectX 12.

Comment

We have DXVK, so they will have GLDX... I don't see the use case here, unless they plan to drop support for OpenGL/OpenCL on Windows ?!

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Really?!

Why not improve the OpenGL to Vulkan mappers instead? This feels like a waste of time if it is done using DirectX 12.
          Especially since Vulkan is one of those DX12 Ultimate requirements.

Unless they have Gallium Twelve secretly in the works.

Comment

yeah, probably improve legacy support for a future deprecation of openGL in Windows

Comment

Originally posted by spykes View Post
              We have DXVK, so they will have OGDX... I don't see the use case here, unless they plan to no more support OpenGL/OpenCL on Windows ?!
              but as said by tildearrow - it would be more convenient to improve the OpenGL to Vulkan mapping. Vulkan is supported on various windows versions / besides of all the other Linux, Unix devices. This would even broaden the community.
              But I guess this is once more a pseudo opensource strategy like multiple "opensource" projects hosted by nvidia.
              The goal is to cement their position. ...it is even more harmful then it might appear - it lures people away from OpenGL -> Vulkan projects.
              Last edited by CochainComplex; 24 March 2020, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Awesome. So I will be able to have my OpenGL game translated to DX12 which I can run on top of Vulkan. A clean and simple solution.

Bonus points to whoever manages to include Metal in the stack.

Comment

Originally posted by spykes View Post
                  unless they plan to drop support for OpenGL/OpenCL on Windows ?!
                  Actually they already did that in the past with Windows XP (not sure about earlier versions). Bundled drivers and versions from Windows Update did not include any OpenGL libraries. And the first thing any kid did when reinstalled Windows is installing drivers from vendor's CD

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    Awesome. So I will be able to have my OpenGL game translated to DX12 which I can run on top of Vulkan. A clean and simple solution.

Bonus points to whoever manages to include Metal in the stack.
                    since AMD provides us so much CPU power we need some way to waste it reasonably - Daisy chaining API's is just one way. Who is in for PowerPC on ARM on x86 emulation in QEMU?

Comment

Working...
                    X