Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware Plumbing OpenGL 4.x Support For The VMWGFX Graphics Stack

Phoronix: VMware Plumbing OpenGL 4.x Support For The VMWGFX Graphics Stack

VMware's VMWGFX open-source Linux graphics driver stack for interfacing with their virtualization software to offer guest VM 3D acceleration that is in turn handled by the host's drivers will soon be offering OpenGL 4.x support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice. I hope that they'll provide Vulkan support soon, so I can spin a Windows VM w/dxvk for the few games that don't work due to anti-cheat.

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
      Nice. I hope that they'll provide Vulkan support soon, so I can spin a Windows VM w/dxvk for the few games that don't work due to anti-cheat.
      Unfortunately they're probably not going to work with a VM either for the same reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
        Unfortunately they're probably not going to work with a VM either for the same reason.
        I game in a qemu VM. Anticheats are stasified by the environment. VAC, EAC, and Battleye. The hangup for wine is the inability to provide kernel-level access for the kernel mode driver.
        Last edited by Snaipersky; 23 March 2020, 10:31 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Not all that exciting considering that Virgil already exposes OpenGL 4.x for Linux guests. We'll likely see Direct3D 11 support layered over OpenGL 4.x in VMware Workstation before Vulkan, which will be interesting for the anti-cheat enabled games.

Comment

There is a long way from being able to claim Opengl 4.0 and being able to claim Opengl 4.6.
            Show Mesa progress for the OpenGL, OpenGL ES, Vulkan and OpenCL drivers implementations into an easy to read HTML page.

Good place to look to see how much.

Besides that no the only problem with VMWorkstation driver. It only exposes Opengl ES 2.0 as well. OpenGL ES 3.2 is where virgl is and a item like a raspberry pi has opengl ES 3.1.

Virgl is fairly current other than Vulkan support at this stage. Of course windows drivers being virgl road block.

Please note as well Direct3d 11 on top of Opengl 4.x as wine developers can tell you is not a good match. Yes wine project keeps it for legacy hardware support and man power issues but hardware that VMware Workstation officially supports is not that legacy hardware.

Reality here VMware driver implementation is way behind in feature support. Yes Virgl is way behind in platform support. So pick either one suxs in different ways.

Comment

Working...
            X