Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RADV Vulkan Driver Makes A Few More Improvements For GCN 1.0/1.1 Hardware

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • RADV Vulkan Driver Makes A Few More Improvements For GCN 1.0/1.1 Hardware

    Phoronix: RADV Vulkan Driver Makes A Few More Improvements For GCN 1.0/1.1 Hardware

    Valve open-source driver developer Samuel Pitoiset has contributed some improvements to Mesa 20.1's Radeon Vulkan "RADV" driver benefiting GCN 1.0/1.1 graphics cards...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...CN1-Extensions

  • #2
    Very nice thank you to the devs!

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks devs! I think that this older gpus are still capable and are more than enough for many users. They shouldnt even consider dropping support for them or at least make vulkan ported to radeon driver beacuse what use do i have if my gpu is enough for me and can run vulkan if the drivers dont have it. I hope this works around gcn 1 are making amd devs find a better solution.

      Comment


      • #4
        Many thanks to MR/ Samuel Pitoiset for his efforts to support older CGN 1.0, and 1.1 GPUs while AMD developers have no intentions to give additional support for any of these kind of older GPUs.

        The expermintal kernel driver hangs a lot of time with the latest kernels, and I have to restart my machine everytime that happens. I reported an issue about that, but one of the developers said that amdgpu has no support for GPU reset for my chip, and I may have better luck with radeon. That is an example of how AMD developers don't care about older GPUs, their main focus goes to new GPUs only.
        Last edited by torbido; 02-17-2020, 11:04 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Michael, there is a typo:
          Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          GFX6/GC7

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by torbido View Post
            Many thanks to MR/ Samuel Pitoiset for his efforts to support older CGN 1.0, and 1.1 GPUs while AMD developers don't care to give any support for these kind of older GPUs.

            The expermintal kernel driver hangs a lot of time with the latest kernels, and I have to restart my machine everytime that happens. I reported an issue about that, but one of the developers said that amdgpu has no support for GPU reset for my chip, and I may have better luck with radeon. That is an example of how AMD developers don't care about older GPUs, their main focus goes to new GPUs only.
            I often wonder if AMD maintained their driver out-of-tree, like AMDGPU-Pro or Nvidia or even ZFS, if issues like that would be less common since they'd only have to focus on updating their shim whenever the kernel interfaces change. We'd also be able to use older, possibly better kernels with the newer GPU driver code...just saying that it sucks when some random bug in 4.17 or 5.2 or whatever hits you so you can't update making you stuck on the previous release or previous LTS release but you need that driver fix to finish Tomb Raider -- seems like 'bugs in Tomb Raider games' was a hot topic yesterday

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              I often wonder if AMD maintained their driver out-of-tree, like AMDGPU-Pro or Nvidia or even ZFS, if issues like that would be less common since they'd only have to focus on updating their shim whenever the kernel interfaces change.
              Thats just not the way linux works. And if you remember the recurring breakages with that shims from novideo or zfs.. you don't want to do that.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

                Thats just not the way linux works. And if you remember the recurring breakages with that shims from novideo or zfs.. you don't want to do that.
                As someone sitting on 5.4 until ZoL updates....your point is? Breakages will happen regardless...you know, that ole "shit happens" phrase comes to mind.

                Just look at the 5.5 i915 situation for a prime example of shit happens.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Can someone tell me where I can find/set Kernel flags?

                  I've searched online but can't seem to find an answer, and the flags above don't appear in /boot/config_*
                  I'm on a Ubuntu LTS downstream (Mint 19). Thanks!
                  Last edited by unis_torvalds; 02-17-2020, 02:56 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

                    As someone sitting on 5.4 until ZoL updates....your point is? Breakages will happen regardless...you know, that ole "shit happens" phrase comes to mind.

                    Just look at the 5.5 i915 situation for a prime example of shit happens.
                    This is down to bad QA rather than ABI breaks.

                    Using older unsupported kernels is just a bad idea all around, look how many problems its caused on android.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X