Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 20.0 Feature Development Is Ending Next Week

Phoronix: Mesa 20.0 Feature Development Is Ending Next Week

Mesa developers are planning to end feature work on Mesa 20.0 next week as this first quarter update to the Mesa 3D graphics stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

F for my haswell iGPU :'(

Comment

Looks like initial ACO support for southern islands is about to land, so it's going to be a great release. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
        F for my haswell iGPU :'(
        Yes, those having Haswell systems like me had a good time years ago - a 4k capable system, silent, even with 35 W, and performant - more than current Icelake.
        Spectre & Meltdown cost more than 20% at the beginning - no problem - still nice system. It worsen with time - but about end of Nov./beginning Dec. 2019 it got so slow that working with it is hard. Felt like switching off performance of more than 50% at once.
        Some games like STK are still fast (in FullHD, of cause), others need 1/4 of res to still work.
        Not to talk to the changed time needed for TeX runs on my presentations.
        And with the tuning of graphics drivers they messed up a lot - I have games where the avatar is invisible for more than a second from time to time which never happened before (I am not a big gamer - but there is no better test to see if HW/SW has a problem without measuring ).
        Thanks Intel for absolutely screwing things up - not only for current HW (Icelake is 8k capable since end of 2018 - what a joy - and as it seems today Icelake will never be performant enough for 4k, partly not even FullHD ... ups ... low power only; 14+++nm being performant, but the buggy and old Skylake CPU and iGPU design, max res of Haswell, DP 1.2, ... congratulations - and to round that picture: NO CLEAR ANNOUNCEMNTS - to be fair neither from Intel nor from AMD -but AMD has something to offer right now - unfortunately not with APU, but at least with 130 W dGPU).
        That is the desktop situation right now ... what is there left to say?
        Welcome AMD system - the sooner the better (for me Intel has NOTHING to offer right now and I would not expect this to change after waiting for more than 3 years now) - and for Navi this Mesa 20.0 is it. And its release will mark my ordering of the new system - so to test it with current driver support under Linux. And Mesa 20.0 will be the last component missing - and with new standards in OpenGL and Vulkan. A release to remember.
        Never have expected anything so pressing like this very release !!!
        And if I would be asked - I would rather delay *buntu 20.04 LTS to ship it also with Linux 5.6 - which has a lot to offer for the desktop.
        But maybe Canonical will do a good job in backporting many of those main features - but all will be present with 20.04.2 LTS, which will be great.
        There is still hope!

Comment

One item that didn't happen yet that is looking less likely now for this release is switching over from i965 to Iris Gallium3D as the default Intel OpenGL implementation for Broadwell and newer.
          This changes the default driver for Intel Gen8-11 hardware to be the newer 'iris' driver rather than the older 'i965' driver. To continue using i965, pass -Dprefer-iris=false when...

Comment

Originally posted by JMB9 View Post

Yes, those having Haswell systems like me had a good time years ago - a 4k capable system, silent, even with 35 W, and performant - more than current Icelake.
            Spectre & Meltdown cost more than 20% at the beginning - no problem - still nice system. It worsen with time - but about end of Nov./beginning Dec. 2019 it got so slow that working with it is hard. Felt like switching off performance of more than 50% at once.
            Some games like STK are still fast (in FullHD, of cause), others need 1/4 of res to still work.
            Not to talk to the changed time needed for TeX runs on my presentations.
            And with the tuning of graphics drivers they messed up a lot - I have games where the avatar is invisible for more than a second from time to time which never happened before (I am not a big gamer - but there is no better test to see if HW/SW has a problem without measuring ).
            Thanks Intel for absolutely screwing things up - not only for current HW (Icelake is 8k capable since end of 2018 - what a joy - and as it seems today Icelake will never be performant enough for 4k, partly not even FullHD ... ups ... low power only; 14+++nm being performant, but the buggy and old Skylake CPU and iGPU design, max res of Haswell, DP 1.2, ... congratulations - and to round that picture: NO CLEAR ANNOUNCEMNTS - to be fair neither from Intel nor from AMD -but AMD has something to offer right now - unfortunately not with APU, but at least with 130 W dGPU).
            That is the desktop situation right now ... what is there left to say?
            Welcome AMD system - the sooner the better (for me Intel has NOTHING to offer right now and I would not expect this to change after waiting for more than 3 years now) - and for Navi this Mesa 20.0 is it. And its release will mark my ordering of the new system - so to test it with current driver support under Linux. And Mesa 20.0 will be the last component missing - and with new standards in OpenGL and Vulkan. A release to remember.
            Never have expected anything so pressing like this very release !!!
            And if I would be asked - I would rather delay *buntu 20.04 LTS to ship it also with Linux 5.6 - which has a lot to offer for the desktop.
            But maybe Canonical will do a good job in backporting many of those main features - but all will be present with 20.04.2 LTS, which will be great.
            There is still hope!
            Ah, that's sad to hear. For me, Intel has always worked without problems. AMD on the other hand has been an absolutely broken experience, with constant problems. I'm looking forward to the Intel Xe dGPU.

Comment

Another important change, AMD finally fixed a bug in H.264 video decode in their Mesa VAAPI implementation.

Comment

Working...
              X