Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi 4 V3D Driver Reaches OpenGL ES 3.1 Conformance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Raspberry Pi 4 V3D Driver Reaches OpenGL ES 3.1 Conformance

    Phoronix: Raspberry Pi 4 V3D Driver Reaches OpenGL ES 3.1 Conformance

    The V3D Gallium3D driver that most notably offers the open-source graphics support for the Raspberry Pi 4 is now an official OpenGL ES 3.1 implementation...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag....1-Conformance

  • #2
    This is MASSIVE. Perfectly aligned with ex-Xorg devs now working to clean up clutter and openGL (es) on Mutter.

    My [email protected] is already pretty good. Looking forward to Spring time.

    Comment


    • #3
      It will be nice to have working ubuntu 19.10 desktop on RPI4
      but it is still buggy. Lots of artefacts

      for example panfrost/lima is in much better shape
      I have ubuntu 19.10 desktop on RK3399 and it is really nice experience.

      I only miss firefox webrender
      let's hope that mozzila will get webrender to better shape for linux distros

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        This is MASSIVE. Perfectly aligned with ex-Xorg devs now working to clean up clutter and openGL (es) on Mutter.

        My [email protected] is already pretty good. Looking forward to Spring time.
        That is good news, I have an up coming project that could use a PI.

        Comment


        • #5
          FWIW: In the US, the retail chain Target now has a RaspPi section. Pi's, accessories, kits, etc.

          It's not very big, but its the first big box retailer I have seen in the US to carry Pi as everyday stock.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
            FWIW: In the US, the retail chain Target now has a RaspPi section. Pi's, accessories, kits, etc.

            It's not very big, but its the first big box retailer I have seen in the US to carry Pi as everyday stock.
            Saw this to at my local Target the other day as well. For the longest time, you'd have to go to Microcenter for an Pi stuff. Remains to be seen how successful Target is by carrying it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by miskol View Post
              It will be nice to have working ubuntu 19.10 desktop on RPI4
              but it is still buggy. Lots of artefacts

              for example panfrost/lima is in much better shape
              I have ubuntu 19.10 desktop on RK3399 and it is really nice experience.

              I only miss firefox webrender
              let's hope that mozzila will get webrender to better shape for linux distros
              Well, Ubuntu 20.04 should be in way better shape for Pi. Raspberry Devs have been saying that 5.4 kernel is the next target for Raspbian for this year. If Ubuntu uses 5.5 kernel, should be ever better experience OOB. Excited to see how it runs on Pi4 when it releases this April.

              Webrender made really great strides with FF71 & 72. 73 should be even better. I think FF74 will be out in time for inclusion in 20.04 with, hopefully, even better Webrender support.

              Comment


              • #8
                GPU rendering on ARM SoCs is getting way better, if this keeps up, pretty soon, a RPi 4 will be faster than my HD4600....

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by kozman View Post

                  Well, Ubuntu 20.04 should be in way better shape for Pi. Raspberry Devs have been saying that 5.4 kernel is the next target for Raspbian for this year. If Ubuntu uses 5.5 kernel, should be ever better experience OOB. Excited to see how it runs on Pi4 when it releases this April.

                  Webrender made really great strides with FF71 & 72. 73 should be even better. I think FF74 will be out in time for inclusion in 20.04 with, hopefully, even better Webrender support.
                  Any news about the Rustification of Firefox? I would like that Phoronix follows this more closely. I'm interested in how Mozilla is able to eat more of it's own dog food.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by timofonic View Post

                    Any news about the Rustification of Firefox? I would like that Phoronix follows this more closely. I'm interested in how Mozilla is able to eat more of it's own dog food.
                    Do you mean existing FF code being moved to Rust code? I haven't seen specifics. FF73 bumped up to being compiled with Rust 1.39 and I'd likely guess FF74 will be on Rust 1.40. I follow Bugzilla almost daily and I can't recall anything specific or huge chunks of code being rewritten in Rust in any of the bug trackers. Someone can chime in if they have seen something like that. Whatever code is in FF and in Rust likely benefits when they bump up Rust versions. The closest I can think to Rust stuff and FF is Nicholas Nethercote's blog: https://blog.mozilla.org/nnethercote/. He still codes for FF but has shifted a lot of focus to improving Rust. Which of course benefits FF directly/indirectly I guess.
                    Last edited by kozman; 01-17-2020, 04:24 PM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X