Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RadeonSI Driver Switches To NIR, Thereby Enabling OpenGL 4.6 By Default For AMD GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post

Depends on the API. Vulkan and OpenGL both have NIR support, but things like vdpau and va-api don't (to my recollection). Clover has some support for ingesting SPIRV shaders and translating to NIR, but compiling from CL source programs for radeonsi/r600 still requires clang/llvm to work.
    There's been some talk of resurrecting a NIR-to-TGSI path for legacy drivers. VDPAU and VAAPI could probably be ported pretty quickly, anyway, and clover is mostly useless. There is an experimental NIR r600 backend being worked on, but whether it ever gets into a high quality state is anyone's guess.

I also don't remember which IRs the nine state tracker requires, but d9vk might make that less of an issue than it once would've been.
    nine was ported to optionally work with NIR in order to gain Iris support.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayden View Post
      virgl and vmware's stuff still use TGSI, so it's not likely to go away completely. But it certainly seems like it's getting shuffled off to irrelevance, and that's a good thing IMO.

I'm really glad to see basically all of Mesa unified on a single IR now.
      So - time to submit a patch where you propose marking TGSI as deprecated and "do not use for new projects"?

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

So - time to submit a patch where you propose marking TGSI as deprecated and "do not use for new projects"?
        Don't at least part of the so-called NIR path still use TGSI with TGSI-To-NIR converter or am I confused?

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

Don't at least part of the so-called NIR path still use TGSI with TGSI-To-NIR converter or am I confused?
          personally I have NFI - But deprecating it would be a good way to start figuring out what needs to be done

Comment

Thank you (AMD) developers.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
              I also don't remember which IRs the nine state tracker requires
              Gallium Nine uses tgsi_to_nir for drivers which combine NIR and Gallium3D (ie nothing just yet but both AMD and Intel GPUs soon). IIRC TGSI was a good fit for it, and converting from there to NIR added little overhead.

Comment

Awesome, so now the most important drivers, iris, anv, radeon and radv all share ever more of their code. How is the status for nouveau? Do they plan to follow up, soon? If nvidia really was to announce they will release their firmware...we would have an awesome, mutually beneficial driver lineup for all desktops.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
                  Awesome, so now the most important drivers, iris, anv, radeon and radv all share ever more of their code. How is the status for nouveau? Do they plan to follow up, soon? If nvidia really was to announce they will release their firmware...we would have an awesome, mutually beneficial driver lineup for all desktops.
                  Karol landed NIR support for Nouveau a while ago, but it's not enabled by default. I'm not sure of the status there.
                  Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
                  Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Working...
                  X