Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Qualcomm's Adreno 640 GPU Is Working Easily With The Freedreno OpenGL/Vulkan Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qualcomm's Adreno 640 GPU Is Working Easily With The Freedreno OpenGL/Vulkan Drivers

Phoronix: Qualcomm's Adreno 640 GPU Is Working Easily With The Freedreno OpenGL/Vulkan Drivers

The Adreno 640 GPU that is used by Qualcomm's Snapdragon 855/855+ SoCs is now working with the open-source Freedreno Gallium3D OpenGL and "TURNIP" Vulkan drivers with the newest Mesa 20.0 development code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's some great news, particularly the "easily" part.
    I've been itching to get a Snapdragon laptop, but I might go for whichever one comes with the 855 SoCs.
    Last edited by schmidtbag; 12 November 2019, 01:00 PM.

Comment

schmidtbag This SoC/GPU is already released...

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        It's great news to see Gallium3D support for a yet-to-be-released GPU on an ARM platform. Not sure that's ever happened before.
        Hmm, I'm not sure this has happened: Adreno 640 is in Snapdragon 855 which has already been released.

I've been itching to get a Snapdragon laptop, but I might go for whichever one comes with the 855 SoCs.
        Ditto. The closest thing is Microsoft Surface X with its SQ1 chip which is a 855 on steroids. But that's too expensive and I'm not sure one can replace Windows with Linux (though it looks like WSL works).

Comment

Originally posted by Girolamo_Cavazzoni View Post
          schmidtbag This SoC/GPU is already released...
          Originally posted by ldesnogu View Post
          Hmm, I'm not sure this has happened: Adreno 640 is in Snapdragon 855 which has already been released.
          Hmm so it is. I wonder if I was looking at the wrong product when looking up the chip.
          Ditto. The closest thing is Microsoft Surface X with its SQ1 chip which is a 855 on steroids. But that's too expensive and I'm not sure one can replace Windows with Linux (though it looks like WSL works).
          Yeah I'm not fond of the price point of existing Snapdragon laptops. For their price, I could get an x86 model.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            For their price, I could get an x86 model.
            I have the feeling that the OEM are charging this price range to show that ARM can compete at the same level as x86

Comment

But can it run Crysis (and SuperTuxKart and cool-retro-term and OpenArena with settings maxed)?

At the same time?

Without the SoC phoning home about it?

Without someone at Qualcomm pwning you?

Comment

Working...
              X