Zink Is Almost In Mesa For Offering OpenGL 2.1 / GLES 2.0 Over Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zink Is Almost In Mesa For Offering OpenGL 2.1 / GLES 2.0 Over Vulkan

Phoronix: Zink Is Almost In Mesa For Offering OpenGL 2.1 / GLES 2.0 Over Vulkan

Zink is the year-old effort led by Collabora's Erik Faye-Lund on developing a Mesa driver that maps OpenGL over Vulkan. It's now nearly within Mesa pending the merge request to actually add it...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is fantastic new! I really excited to try this soon. OpenGL 2.1 is enough for several older games and I might be able to even run maybe kwin with this :-)

Comment

May be that will help replacing radeonsi with it eventually, to avoid all the bugs that plague it on Navi. But surely not before it hits OpenGL 4.x.

Comment

zink will allow users of nvidia propertary drivers to use gallium nine on wine!

Comment

Does it? Wouldn't zink have to be gallium over vulkan in order to support gallium nine?

Edit : you're right, the initial blog post suggests that it might be possible

3. Enable more integration

Because Zink is implemented as a Gallium driver in Mesa, there's some interesting side-benefits that comes "for free". For instance, projects like Gallium Nine or Clover could in theory work on top of the i965 Vulkan driver through Zink. Please note that this hasn't really been tested, though. It should also be possible to run Zink on top of a closed-source Vulkan driver, and still get proper window system integration. Not that I promote the idea of using a closed-source Vulkan driver.
          Last edited by oleid; 24 October 2019, 11:13 PM.

Comment

This reminds me the times of 3DFX.

The OpenGL / Mesa driver wasn't a direct to metal implementation but a 3DFX glide over one.

Comment

Originally posted by trek View Post
              There won't be nine support when zink is ready. It needs more bits of work. Until someone works these specific bits there won't be support.

Comment

Originally posted by mannerov View Post

There won't be nine support when zink is ready. It needs more bits of work. Until someone works these specific bits there won 't be support.
                Also why go the route dx->9->vulkan(Zink) if you can as easily use d9vk and cut out the middleman?
                Last edited by Mani; 25 October 2019, 06:20 AM.

Comment

I see the real benefit in the distant future, where you dont need to write any kind of OpenGL driver for your new architecture, but only a Vulkan one and get OpenGL/+ES for free. Right now zink is more of a "who cares?" thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mani View Post
                    Also why go the route dx->9->vulkan(Zink) if you can as easily use d9vk and cut out the middleman?
                    because gallium nine runs really fast and without glitches!

Comment

Working...
                    X