Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi 4's V3D Mesa Driver Nearing OpenGL ES 3.1

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi 4's V3D Mesa Driver Nearing OpenGL ES 3.1

Back during the summer Eric Anholt who had been the lead developer of Broadcom's VC4/V3D graphics driver stack most notably used by Raspberry Pi boards left the company to join Google. In his place, the Raspberry Pi Foundation is working with consulting firm Igalia to continue work on the DRM/KMS kernel driver and Gallium3D drivers for this open-source graphics driver support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there anything other than the Raspberry 4 that could be able to use the v3d driver? Do any phones use such Broadcom SoCs? I remember some old phones using Broadcom SoCs, but those only had the VC4 GPU.

Comment

AFAIK the only thing that's known to use this particular SoC is a Sky satellite box. Phones tend to use SoCs built specifically for mobile applications and Qualcomm doesn't make them. They do however make WiFi and Bluetooth modems along with various other smaller chips like power control ICs. Apple, Samsung (at least with their Exynos devices) and Nintendo have a history of using their WiFi+Bluetooth modems.

Not that this SoC is unsuitable for use in a phone, just look at the Librem using an SoC intended for very similar use cases, but most phone makers these days tend to go for SoCs with built-in 3G/4G/5G modems provided by Qualcomm and a few smaller players like MediaTek (after Qualcomm snuffed out the competition with incredibly anti-competitive license agreements).

Comment

Originally posted by StandaSK View Post
        Is there anything other than the Raspberry 4 that could be able to use the v3d driver? Do any phones use such Broadcom SoCs? I remember some old phones using Broadcom SoCs, but those only had the VC4 GPU.
        Broadcom SoCs are often found in cable or satellite set top boxes, and voip desk phones.

Comment

Originally posted by StandaSK View Post
          Hmm now that I think of it, I find it a bit weird that Broadcom SoCs are so rarely found in other consumer devices.
          I guess stuff like Allwinner and Rockchip are used since they're cheaper, where stuff like Exynos and Snapdragon are used when you care more about performance.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Hmm now that I think of it, I find it a bit weird that Broadcom SoCs are so rarely found in other consumer devices.
            I guess stuff like Allwinner and Rockchip are used since they're cheaper, where stuff like Exynos and Snapdragon are used when you care more about performance.
            I think it's much because Broadcom does not focus much on the high performance generic embedded segment.
            They focus a lot on full scale (Linux 32-bit MMU+) but still smaller embedded CPUs. Network element CPUs, Accelerator CPUs etc.
            The "I have a big ass A72 and some nice GPU power" does not seem to be a segment for them.
            It's more that the RPi foundation has a CPU made for them, but not available for anyone else.

Don't know why though. They can apparently do it and make a living selling the CPUs for peanuts (RPi CPUs).
            Otherwise I guess they would stop selling it to the RPi foundation.

Comment

Very interesting, PI4 is certainly a new generation of hardware. That is great but the foundation really needs to get with it and focus on a 64 bit distro. I would be surprised if in the 2-3 years that PI5 comes out it would really be able to leverage a modern distro.

Comment

Btw, what is the state of RPi 4 and Vulkan support?

Is it technically possible at all and if so, anyone working on it?

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                  Very interesting, PI4 is certainly a new generation of hardware. That is great but the foundation really needs to get with it and focus on a 64 bit distro. I would be surprised if in the 2-3 years that PI5 comes out it would really be able to leverage a modern distro.
                  /boot/config.txt
                  #kernel=kernel8.img
                  arm_64bit=1
                  will boot 64 bit Linux Kernel 4.19.75 on RPI3 and RPI4.
                  Manjaro (ArchLinux) has 64 bit for RPI3 and RPI4.
                  ArchLinuxArm has 64 bit on RPI3. Should be available soon on RPI4.
                  Fedora is also promising 64bit on RPI4 soon.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                    I believe there is a beta version of Ubuntu Mate 64 bit floating around.

Comment

Working...
                    X