Zink's OpenGL Over Vulkan Implementation Aiming For Mesa 19.3 Integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zink's OpenGL Over Vulkan Implementation Aiming For Mesa 19.3 Integration

Phoronix: Zink's OpenGL Over Vulkan Implementation Aiming For Mesa 19.3 Integration

For the past year "Zink" has been in development as the OpenGL API implemented over Vulkan and done as a Gallium3D driver. That code by Collabora's Erik Faye-Lund will likely be merged to Mesa 19.3 in the coming weeks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael notice: the thread for AMDGPU Performance In Linux 5.4 Is Now Faster With "Bulk Moves" Landed is missing.
    I just wanted to point out a typo in that article:
    The wine can be quite noticeable and
    Let's celebrate then!
    Last edited by tildearrow; 05 October 2019, 12:33 AM.

Comment

this means it could end up in Mesa 19.3 with its feature cut-off in February and the official Mesa 19.3 release likely out in early December.
      I'm afraid I don't follow. Is the 19.3 release happening this year, as implied by the version number, then the feature cut-off has either already happened or it's not happening in "February".

Comment

This would be fantastic! Can't wait to test it again.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Erik has sent out some prepatory patches to Mesa

Comment

This means that if a device driver implements support for Vulkan, then it also gets support for OpenGL for free?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              This means that if a device driver implements support for Vulkan, then it also gets support for OpenGL for free?
              Nope, at least now. See https://twitter.com/oscarbg81/status...08754886647808. It doesn't work with proprietary nv stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by asdfgh View Post

It doesn't work with proprietary nv stuff.
                I think the main focus of Mesa projects are to be self-contained so that they work well together. Nouveau might be a more reasonable target. Don't know if it has any Vulkan capabilities or not.

If only clvk/clspv would make it into mesa, RADV could drive Vulkan/OpenGL/OpenCL/SYCL and all their interop layers.

Comment

Vulkan is really turning out to be a boon.

Comment

Very cool, I hope to see the market for custom GL drivers to dry up quickly.

Comment

Working...
                    X