No announcement yet.

Zink's OpenGL Over Vulkan Implementation Aiming For Mesa 19.3 Integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am looking forward to the Benchmark/Perf Improve cycle for Zink - I know the first cut is going to have some rough edges performance wise but going forward it is going to be pretty cool!

it *should* make device bringup a little easier (with only needing to do a vulkan driver instead of opengl+vulkan driver to get a working environment), but I am not a driver developer so I could also be full of shite

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
      Very cool, I hope to see the market for custom GL drivers to dry up quickly.
      pretty sure that if you want to get the best performance you will still want to go with a dedicated driver.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

pretty sure that if you want to get the best performance you will still want to go with a dedicated driver.
        I do wonder a bit about that. It seems like if there are characteristics that affect performance in that way, they should be exposed by Vulkan API extensions at least.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

I do wonder a bit about that. It seems like if there are characteristics that affect performance in that way, they should be exposed by Vulkan API extensions at least.
          Then you have device specific work around and optimisations that the underlying drivers may not be able to do

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

Then you have device specific work around and optimisations that the underlying drivers may not be able to do
            Like I said, if the underlying device has some performance-critical behaviour that a GL driver should use, then that should be exposed through Vulkan extensions anyway.

Comment

Working...
            X