Zink's OpenGL Over Vulkan Implementation Aiming For Mesa 19.3 Integration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zink's OpenGL Over Vulkan Implementation Aiming For Mesa 19.3 Integration

Phoronix: Zink's OpenGL Over Vulkan Implementation Aiming For Mesa 19.3 Integration

For the past year "Zink" has been in development as the OpenGL API implemented over Vulkan and done as a Gallium3D driver. That code by Collabora's Erik Faye-Lund will likely be merged to Mesa 19.3 in the coming weeks...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...lkan-Mesa-19.3

Michael notice: the thread for AMDGPU Performance In Linux 5.4 Is Now Faster With "Bulk Moves" Landed is missing.
    I just wanted to point out a typo in that article:
    The wine can be quite noticeable and
    Let's celebrate then!
    Last edited by tildearrow; 10-05-2019, 12:33 AM.

Comment

this means it could end up in Mesa 19.3 with its feature cut-off in February and the official Mesa 19.3 release likely out in early December.
      I'm afraid I don't follow. Is the 19.3 release happening this year, as implied by the version number, then the feature cut-off has either already happened or it's not happening in "February".

Comment

This would be fantastic! Can't wait to test it again.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Erik has sent out some prepatory patches to Mesa

Comment

This means that if a device driver implements support for Vulkan, then it also gets support for OpenGL for free?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              This means that if a device driver implements support for Vulkan, then it also gets support for OpenGL for free?
              Nope, at least now. See https://twitter.com/oscarbg81/status...08754886647808. It doesn't work with proprietary nv stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by asdfgh View Post

It doesn't work with proprietary nv stuff.
                I think the main focus of Mesa projects are to be self-contained so that they work well together. Nouveau might be a more reasonable target. Don't know if it has any Vulkan capabilities or not.

If only clvk/clspv would make it into mesa, RADV could drive Vulkan/OpenGL/OpenCL/SYCL and all their interop layers.

Comment

Vulkan is really turning out to be a boon.

Comment

Very cool, I hope to see the market for custom GL drivers to dry up quickly.

Comment

Working...
                    X