Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASTC Texture Compression License Turns Out To Be Restrictive Outside Of Khronos APIs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASTC Texture Compression License Turns Out To Be Restrictive Outside Of Khronos APIs

Phoronix: ASTC Texture Compression License Turns Out To Be Restrictive Outside Of Khronos APIs

The lossy ASTC texture compression algorithm has been widely adopted in recent years with it being official extensions to both OpenGL and OpenGL ES. While it may not be as messy as the S3TC patent situation of the past, it turns out Arm's license on Adaptive Scalable Texture Compression actually is quite restrictive outside of the context of Khronos' APIs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I probably do not understand how it works, but if I look up the ASTC specs I get a document describing the implementation of ASTC (and hence the format).
    The blog post seems to only refer to the sample ASTC encoder from ARM and not the spec itself nor the samples in that spec.
    See: https://www.khronos.org/registry/Ope...n_astc_hdr.txt

Comment

Outside Of Khronos APIs
      And what would those be?

Comment

Originally posted by Zgembo View Post
        And what would those be?
        Anything Direct3D, I guess

Is the upcoming WebGPU considered to be a Khronos API as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Zgembo View Post
          And what would those be?
          Tools that work with the ASTC format.

(Hopefully not drivers though!)

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Hopefully it's just an oversight by Arm's lawyers
            If that is indeed the case, I strongly doubt Arm is willing to accept it is an oversight out of their pure greed.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

If that is indeed the case, I strongly doubt Arm is willing to accept it is an oversight out of their pure greed.
              Arm Holdings is so evil that it must merge with Oracle or Microsoft.

Comment

Yes,
                Outside Of Khronos APIs
                and
                No right is granted to use the Software to develop hardware.
                ARM guys are like fox's..afraid of someone else that has encoders/decoders in hardware..??
                They have already been outgunned..

ThinkSilicon Nema seems to implement compression/decompression in hardware, and they seem to beat ARM in that, and other aspects.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Really? How so?

Edit: Although, I now see that it's owned by Softbank

To answer my own question, some examples I suppose:
                  Last edited by azdaha; 03 October 2019, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

No, please, and especially not with Oracle. They'll consume Arm entirely.

(oh wait, isn't this a good thing for RISC-V?)

Comment

Working...
                    X