No announcement yet.

Systemd-homed: Systemd Now Working To Improve Home Directory Handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still waiting for linuxd...that's where they're headed. Also, when are they gonna start implementing desktop environments and window managers? Gnomed, KDEd, i3d, and openboxd all sound like so much fun. OMG, what about GTKd, qtd, or EGLd? Blenderd, Libre Officed, firefoxd, ddd.

You know what? I'm just gonna not use a computer anymore and maybe I'll train a NN to replace myself. I'll see if the systemd devs want to implement it and maybe call it userd.

Comment

Originally posted by Cape View Post
      This doesn't mean we should carry on a 70yo OS.
      ​​​​
      UNIX conforms to POSIX. FYI, most recent POSIX specification is only year or two old. Ignorance is a bliss.

Comment

Originally posted by Apokalypz View Post
        I'm still waiting for linuxd...that's where they're headed. Also, when are they gonna start implementing desktop environments and window managers? Gnomed, KDEd, i3d, and openboxd all sound like so much fun. OMG, what about GTKd, qtd, or EGLd? Blenderd, Libre Officed, firefoxd, ddd.

You know what? I'm just gonna not use a computer anymore and maybe I'll train a NN to replace myself. I'll see if the systemd devs want to implement it and maybe call it userd.
        That's because some people don't like to stay at their place. I already tested FreeBSD on real hardware (my PC) and it is great. Then, there is the Hackintosh, and then even Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Cape View Post

OFC not! Actually - with the FSF becoming a diversity hellhole - we should be very worried for the future of Free Software for all users!
          This doesn't mean we should carry on a 70yo OS.

Ideally I'd like to see RMS founding a new organization with the intent of forking GNU and slowly transition it to the 21st century by incorporating piece after piece into systemd 🤗
          ​​​​
          Sadly, along with the inability to keep their turn-of-the-century sexism to themselves on *email mailing lists*, people like RMS also can't comprehend new ways of doing things. They shaped this operating system that expects "multiple seats" on a timeshared mainframe and where you have to read about arcane commands in man pages with terminal programs keybound for long-extinct key layouts and enter your sudo password every five minutes and where cron tries to email you errors and which is just getting sandboxed containers.

It's natural, and this is why death is salutary for society -- old minds adapted for the past and scleric with its traumas just die, and new ones come along that can better adapt to the present. They would probably start with not using email lists.

And what's wrong with the FSF becoming more diverse? They're actually already surprisingly diverse looking at their present board, but I guess that's not diverse enough because it's still enough of a deluded echo chamber to unironically recommend distros like Trisquel to people. Idealism is the shit.

Also, we definitely shouldn't be carrying on the 50-year-old language of C! If SystemDOS isn't written in Rust, rip.
          Last edited by josh_walrath; 22 September 2019, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rhavenn View Post
            Stay out of my home directory. I've had more or less the same .cshrc and .login file since the late 90s with some tweaks here and there to add / remove aliases / whatever.
            Did you even watch the video? It's not touching anything inside your home directory. Your .cshrc etc are untouched; they're inside your home directory.

Concept A is a replacement for pam and can remove human users from /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow. This is done in a cryptographicly secure manner so your profile can roam to machines that have signed your profile without the need for LDAP. It's extensible so you could login with hardware key (eg Yubi), pattern (like Android/iOS), and other non-password methods if you want. It lives along side the existing /etc/{passed,shadow} system and doesn't prevent users defined in there from logging in.

Concept B is storing your home folder in an encrypted file in a way that works with Concept A. Nothing inside your actual home folder is altered.

​This is something that can both compliment as well as replace nfs+ldap for roaming profiles. Concept B doesn't work on machines that are primarily accessed over a network (headless server, etc) and is really designed around protecting data on a mobile device that suspends frequently (eg a laptop), but would work fine for employer owned desktop workstations as well.
            Last edited by bobpaul; 22 September 2019, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by frank007 View Post

You really dont know what software is.
              So you think that disk firmware, kernel, driver code and user-space applications is hardware? So please enlighten me dear master what your definition of software is!

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

All of your usual user program configuration files, password lists, etc will become stored on an encrypted loopback image making it so we should, in theory, be able to take that image from OS to OS to OS and have all our user settings and whatnot intact and working. That assumes that all those OSs have the same programs installed...

But, disregard the OS hopping scenario, it would be really useful for OS upgrades, assist distribution maintainers with migrating to having a read-only root and using atomic updates since it attempts to move some of the files end users have to tweak under /etc to the user image, in corporate environments where every PC has the same crap installed all we'd have to do is load our image from a network drive so any PC in those environments could be used by anyone and have our personalized tweaks, sudo password, GPG keys, etc.
                Well if you just put your favourite Linux distro on a flash drive, with encrypted partitions, problem solved. You don't have to depend on Linux with systemd and all of the programs you want being present, you can just guarantee it with that flash drive.

But yeah, it does look like a useful solution for people who multi-boot and/or distro hop.

Comment

Gnome
                  Linux
                  and
                  systemD
                  Operating
                  System

It sounds like a neat concept but we all know why it's a fatal combination.

(Explanation and spoiler for the game Portal: GLaDOS is a sentient AI which got so obsessed with carrying out its tasks that it forgot about the scientists it was running them for, killing them all in the process.)

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post
                    (Source: briefly worked on CRIU)
                    Oh, CRIU! Yeah that's the one Cool that you worked on it. Is this sort of thing possible to use with Flatpak apps?

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

Is this sort of thing possible to use with Flatpak apps?
                      As it stands now, all desktop applications get hit by exactly the limitation I described. Long story short, you would have to checkpoint the app together with the X server (or Wayland compositor) — and, by extension, every other app that's connected to the same X server/Wayland compositor (same principle, but in reverse). DBus doesn't exactly help, either.

For this to work, CRIU would need to learn to extract X11/Wayland state from the display server/compositor (and inject it back upon process restoration), which is much easier said than done.
                      Last edited by intelfx; 23 September 2019, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X