No announcement yet.

Systemd-homed: Systemd Now Working To Improve Home Directory Handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool, I'm looking forward to seeing what functionality this new component can enable. I don't fully understand the purpose, but lettuce sea before we cast it out.

Comment

Sounds interesting, my use case would be to easily share my home across multiple systems and sync everything via nextcloud.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
        [...] Can anyone provide some really useful ways to use this? [...]
        It looks like it has potential in laptops and workstations. I can't see a compelling use case in servers.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
          Cool, I'm looking forward to seeing what functionality this new component can enable. I don't fully understand the purpose, but lettuce sea before we cast it out.
          Basically the functionality is this.
          Today:
          1.) "Shit my new drive is here, ugggh i have carefully move my home directory or i have to reconfigure all my userspace data"
          2.) "Goddam i put my gpg keys on a pendrive but forgot to copy my .ssh files, damn it what was my public key again??"

Tomorrow:
          just export the damn encrypted blob to a pendrive and have your damn user/home folder/configurations anywhere as long as you have systemd 244+ installed.

Actually i'm really looking forward for homed, since i would love to have all my PCs with the same configurations instead of my today rsync scripts

Comment

I can't wait until doing anything with home directories requires using systemd. Right now we can change a user's home directory with one simple command. Systemd should add an extra command to that process. Even better would be systemd creating a link to a folder so we cant actually see where our home directory is and if we want to do an ls of a directory, we will need to use some journalctl flag.

Comment

Originally posted by BreezeDM View Post
              I can't wait until doing anything with home directories requires using systemd. Right now we can change a user's home directory with one simple command. Systemd should add an extra command to that process. Even better would be systemd creating a link to a folder so we cant actually see where our home directory is and if we want to do an ls of a directory, we will need to use some journalctl flag.
              What about doing the same and even more just using one command? Even manage file permissions.

Just asking.

Maybe systemd aims to replace GNU Core Utilities and other stuff with modernized replacements...?
              Last edited by timofonic; 20 September 2019, 01:16 PM.

Comment

I'll never be using a feature that will potentially lock my data in case of bugs for ever.

Comment

Gee, I can't wait to lose all my data. Sounds like a back up system is going to be mandatory rather than optional going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Maybe systemd aims to replace GNU Core Utilities and other stuff with modernized replacements...?
                    As much as I agree with the sentiment, I really hope that comment* doesn't turn this thread into yet another systemd is an OS thread.

Personally, I prefer the systemd way of standardizing methods we've used for 20 years so instead of having to run 12 individual commands we just run one systemd command. I might not agree with or like how they're doing everything, but, on the whole, systemd is making more things easier and better than it's making things harder and crappier, so rock on, Lennart. Do your thing.

*...and this comment...I know how these threads go

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                      I have been interesed in read only root for a while.
                      Fedora SilverBlue works great.

Comment

Working...
                      X