X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• robclark
    replied
    Originally posted by andreano View Post

I think you mean Rob Clark there. I had to look in the commit log, because it could be, but I didn't see Eric there.
    I barely use that github tree anymore myself (I used to use it as staging area for WIP stuff, but I mainly use my gitlab tree now for that).. you probably want to look at commit log in upstream mesa tree.

Leave a comment:

• Baguy
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    More like the only one. That's why they are so supportive with the RPI foundation and made a SoC respin with a better ARM CPU out of thin air just for Raspi 3.
    I quite literally said that.

"That said, yes, it's probably a dead market for them in any other sector, but perhaps the raspberry pi and the new open source drivers can get them into the door."

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Baguy View Post
    The raspberry pi is a big market for Broadcom
    More like the only one. That's why they are so supportive with the RPI foundation and made a SoC respin with a better ARM CPU out of thin air just for Raspi 3.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by abott View Post
    Exactly my point. Maybe would have been able to sell chips if their drivers weren't shit. Most brands need to look at themselves and ask what they get from keeping everything proprietary. Nothing.
    FYI: Amlogic is using Mali with a blob for 3D accelerator, and their media acceleration engine (more critical than 3D accelerator) is also a blob.

Broadcom just made wrong decisions somewhere else and got undercut by chinese stuff.

Meanwhile, third parties are reverse-engineering (or have already finished reverse-engineering) Amlogic stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Baguy
    replied
    Who is using that hardware today? Nobody. You can count them on one hand.
    I mean, you'll probably need two hands nowadays, because there is a company selling new powerpc based computers that are fully FOSS... But the people using them are going with AMD graphics cards.

Leave a comment:

• abott
    replied
    Who is using that hardware today? Nobody. You can count them on one hand.

Leave a comment:

• rene
    replied

At least Nvidia's driver is somewhat usable. It's a hassle when you install a new kernel and have to force dkms, but still, better than every mobile driver blob on the market.
    Usable? Never got a PowerPC blog for my G5 or any other IBM PPC. Everyone should have stayed away from this closed junk and we would have long an amazing open driver for that.

Leave a comment:

• tuxd3v
    replied
    Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
    One man for one driver... There are a bunch graphic chips out there It means you need just fifty engineers to cover up all the entire graphic drivers productions...
    I think that ARM/Google/SoC Vendors are the ones to blame for this so big fragmentation..

OfCourse for Google its like heaven, with its blobs, but for Linux ecosystem, its like hell..
    Also it hurts indirectly ARM/Soc Vendors..

If they had a unified driver, less people would be needed, and the driver quality would be superior..
    And, ofcourse for Linux ecosystem would be very nice..

Leave a comment:

• Danielsan
    replied

So should AMD fire driver devs? Your point is illogical[...]
    Every time someone has to explain a such trivial joke is a debacle for the whole mankind...

Leave a comment:

• LoveRPi
    replied

It's a hassle when you install a new kernel and have to force dkms
    ummm...what? that's how it's suppose to work.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X