Broadcom's VC4/V3D Driver Developer Parts Ways To Join Google

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LoveRPi View Post

They have no market to support the expense. Amlogic won the OTT/Google AndroidTV market and Broadcom can only get scraps.
    The raspberry pi is a big market for Broadcom with over 100,000 units manufactured per week (might be even more nowadays, especially with the pi 4). Broadcom has even allowed the raspberry pi company (Notice i said company... Yes, they have a foundation & company) to modify the silicon for the pi 4 since they are buying at such a large scale. It's also safe to say the raspberry pi isn't going anywhere, and they don't have any plans for the long future to switch away from broadcom chips.

That said, yes, it's probably a dead market for them in any other sector, but perhaps the raspberry pi and the new open source drivers can get them into the door.

Comment

Originally posted by abott View Post
      Blows my mind how any chip maker can make money offering only a shitty proprietary blob.

This should have 3-5 broadcom engineers working on it non-stop.
      *Cough* Nvidia fanboys

Comment

Originally posted by Baguy View Post

*Cough* Nvidia fanboys
        At least Nvidia's driver is somewhat usable. It's a hassle when you install a new kernel and have to force dkms, but still, better than every mobile driver blob on the market.

Comment

It's a hassle when you install a new kernel and have to force dkms
          ummm...what? that's how it's suppose to work.

Comment

So should AMD fire driver devs? Your point is illogical[...]
            Every time someone has to explain a such trivial joke is a debacle for the whole mankind...

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
              One man for one driver... There are a bunch graphic chips out there It means you need just fifty engineers to cover up all the entire graphic drivers productions...
              I think that ARM/Google/SoC Vendors are the ones to blame for this so big fragmentation..

OfCourse for Google its like heaven, with its blobs, but for Linux ecosystem, its like hell..
              Also it hurts indirectly ARM/Soc Vendors..

If they had a unified driver, less people would be needed, and the driver quality would be superior..
              And, ofcourse for Linux ecosystem would be very nice..

Comment

At least Nvidia's driver is somewhat usable. It's a hassle when you install a new kernel and have to force dkms, but still, better than every mobile driver blob on the market.
                Usable? Never got a PowerPC blog for my G5 or any other IBM PPC. Everyone should have stayed away from this closed junk and we would have long an amazing open driver for that.

Comment

Who is using that hardware today? Nobody. You can count them on one hand.

Comment

Who is using that hardware today? Nobody. You can count them on one hand.
                    I mean, you'll probably need two hands nowadays, because there is a company selling new powerpc based computers that are fully FOSS... But the people using them are going with AMD graphics cards.

Comment

Exactly my point. Maybe would have been able to sell chips if their drivers weren't shit. Most brands need to look at themselves and ask what they get from keeping everything proprietary. Nothing.
                      FYI: Amlogic is using Mali with a blob for 3D accelerator, and their media acceleration engine (more critical than 3D accelerator) is also a blob.

Broadcom just made wrong decisions somewhere else and got undercut by chinese stuff.

Meanwhile, third parties are reverse-engineering (or have already finished reverse-engineering) Amlogic stuff.

Comment

Working...
                      X