Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broadcom's VC4/V3D Driver Developer Parts Ways To Join Google

Phoronix: Broadcom's VC4/V3D Driver Developer Parts Ways To Join Google

Eric Anholt who has near single-handedly been developing the V3D driver stack (formerly known as "VC5") for use by the Raspberry Pi 4 and other newer Broadcom boards as well as maintaining the mature VC4 driver stack he developed for previous Raspberry Pi boards has left Broadcom. But Broadcom's loss is to Google's open-source gain...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's a shame and kinda scary for Linux Broadcom users, but, I do think it's great he's working on Freedreno, which definitely needs more help of someone with his level of experience.
    Last edited by schmidtbag; 03 August 2019, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      That's a shame and kinda scary for Linux Broadcom users, but, I do think it's great he's working Freedreno, which definitely more help of someone with his level of experience.
      It is a shame seeing him departing but at least it seems like the driver will continue strong based on what he said in his post:
      The folks at Igalia are taking over from me on V3D (I’ve already done a bunch of review of perf improvement and bugfix patches they’ve made), and Bootlin is going to be continuing to work on getting open source display to parity with the closed source stack.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        he's working on Freedreno
        I think you mean Rob Clark there. I had to look in the commit log, because it could be, but I didn't see Eric there.

Comment

Blows my mind how any chip maker can make money offering only a shitty proprietary blob.

This should have 3-5 broadcom engineers working on it non-stop.

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post
            I think you mean Rob Clark there. I had to look in the commit log, because it could be, but I didn't see Eric there.
            Huh? Did you not read the article?

Comment

Originally posted by abott View Post
              Blows my mind how any chip maker can make money offering only a shitty proprietary blob.

This should have 3-5 broadcom engineers working on it non-stop.
              They have no market to support the expense. Amlogic won the OTT/Google AndroidTV market and Broadcom can only get scraps.

Comment

Originally posted by LoveRPi View Post

They have no market to support the expense. Amlogic won the OTT/Google AndroidTV market and Broadcom can only get scraps.
                Exactly my point. Maybe would have been able to sell chips if their drivers weren't shit. Most brands need to look at themselves and ask what they get from keeping everything proprietary. Nothing.

Comment

One man for one driver... There are a bunch graphic chips out there It means you need just fifty engineers to cover up all the entire graphic drivers productions...

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
                    One man for one driver... There are a bunch graphic chips out there It means you need just fifty engineers to cover up all the entire graphic drivers productions...
                    So should AMD fire driver devs? Your point is illogical that just because some drivers exist they need more engineers, that's not the point as realistically there's only 4-5 3D drivers that actually exist and are used and still engineered today.

The Mali blob was 4x slower than Alyssa's RE'd driver as of the end of last year with glgears. If the Broadcom would have had drivers as good earlier, would it not have been chosen over the crappy Mali driver? Probably.

Comment

Working...
                    X