Valve's ACO AMD Shader Compiler Now Can Handle Vertex Shaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eydee View Post
    Valve putting so much attention into AMD graphics, despite the low market share and mining business probably means Steam Machine 2.0 with AMD graphics is coming. Doing this just as a favor for 15 people would be quite illogical.
    You could be right, but if Nvidia had an open driver, I bet Valve would be dumping effort into their driver too. Since the new Intel iris driver is gallium-based, i̶t̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶b̶a̶b̶l̶y̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶l̶a̶t̶i̶v̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶t̶r̶i̶v̶i̶a̶l̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶f̶l̶i̶p̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶A̶C̶O̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶i̶r̶ ̶G̶P̶U̶s̶ ̶d̶r̶o̶p̶.

EDIT: woops, wasn't thinking about how the compiler was outputting machine code. Sorry.
    Last edited by Xicronic; 16 September 2019, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      Reading through the open and closed issues, in-game MSAA with black squares seems to be a common issue. Though it also seems to be related to DXVK+MSAA which could be why a native game might work just fine.
      Which closed issues are you referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by Xicronic View Post
        Since the new Intel iris driver is gallium-based, it probably will be relatively trivial to flip on ACO for it once their GPUs drop.
        You do know this stuff outputs machine code binaries which is really non-portable? Intel will never see this unless their hardware is absolutely great compared to AMD, consistently, for years. There's no reason. That's why AMD has been chosen. Open, good, now.

Comment

Valve putting so much attention into AMD graphics, despite the low market share and mining business probably means Steam Machine 2.0 with AMD graphics is coming. Doing this just as a favor for 15 people would be quite illogical.
          Your entire post is illogical. They're the 2nd highest capable graphics card in market share, excluding their 100% market share of the 200 million gaming consoles from Xbox and Sony that have sold in the last 5 years.

Mining has also died to ASIC's and low money values. It's up now, but it's just the market stabilizing. It won't happen like it happened before ever again, those days are dead and gone.

15 million daily users of AMD's hardware is probably a better description.

Comment

Well, they can't really do anything with Nvidia, and Intel doesn't have GPUs worth their time. Valve wants to see faster progress with Linux, so, working on AMD's drivers are really the only option they have (in terms of GPU drivers).

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
              Which closed issues are you referring to?
              Honestly, there were only two and entering MSAA will find them fast enough.

I should consider not trying to be helpful before my morning coffee is finished.

Comment

Since the new Intel iris driver is gallium-based, it probably will be relatively trivial to flip on ACO for it once their GPUs drop.
                The role ACO fills is highly hardware specific, and Gallium really plays no part in this. In fact, ACO is currently only used by radv, which isn't using Gallium either. So don't expect it to be used for Intel - that would require a complete rewrite. It's also primarily about removing llvm as a dependency, and Intel already has an in-tree version of a shader compiler so there's not a compelling reason they'd even want it over their own.

Comment

it probably will be relatively trivial to flip on ACO for it once their GPUs drop.
                  I didn't know that Intel's upcoming GPUs use AMD's GCN ISA.

Comment

Originally posted by cute2dgirl View Post
                    I didn't know that Intel's upcoming GPUs use AMD's GCN ISA.
                    For anyone wanting to use this with Flathub package of Steam, see https://valentindavid.com/posts/2019...-with-flatpak/

Comment

Working...
                    X