Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Binomial's Basis Universal To Super-Compress glTF Assets, WebGL Gets New Extensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Binomial's Basis Universal To Super-Compress glTF Assets, WebGL Gets New Extensions

Phoronix: Binomial's Basis Universal To Super-Compress glTF Assets, WebGL Gets New Extensions

With SIGGRAPH 2019 happening next week in LA, The Khronos Group has already kicked off the news cycle by making several announcements from forming a 3D Commerce Initiative Working Group to releasing new WebGL extensions to making use of Binomical's Basis Universal tech for better compression...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome, hope to see this in browsers and Android soon.

Comment

Michael Binomical or Binomial?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Michael Binomical or Binomial?
        Binomial,
        This is from an ex Valve dev btw. Great that this at last got opensourced and now on the way to be generally useful

Comment

Originally posted by sheepdestroyer View Post

Binomial,
          This is from an ex Valve dev btw. Great that this at last got opensourced and now on the way to be generally useful
          Surprising news, he was regretting open sourceing some of his tech before.

Comment

I'm mostly impressed with Autodesk joining Khronos and endorsing glTF

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

Surprising news, he was regretting open sourceing some of his tech before.
              Well, it says Google is "partnering" to open this up, so I assume they paid him a bunch of money to do this. I think that's all he really wanted, he wasn't philosophically against open sourcing stuff he just wasn't happy about not getting paid for it.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Well, it says Google is "partnering" to open this up, so I assume they paid him a bunch of money to do this. I think that's all he really wanted, he wasn't philosophically against open sourcing stuff he just wasn't happy about not getting paid for it.
                Aye, I think he lost some business because of this. So as you said I also think that he got paid for this work and it is surely well-deserved. By the way, for the German speaking audience, talking about him, money and open source is pretty funny because his last name would roughly translate to Moneyrich.

Comment

From my impression of Rich on Twitter, I'd say he's not easy to work with and kind of paranoid.

Comment

> From my impression of Rich on Twitter, I'd say he's not easy to work with and kind of paranoid.

From my impression of your posts here, you are obviously paranoid (as you're hiding behind an anonymous handle - I'm not), and you have insulted me on a public forum.

I've worked with many hundreds of developers and with dozens of companies over the decades. I don't have any problems working with anybody, as long as they aren't assholes like you just were.

-Rich

Comment

Working...
                    X