Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Binomial's Basis Universal To Super-Compress glTF Assets, WebGL Gets New Extensions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Binomial's Basis Universal To Super-Compress glTF Assets, WebGL Gets New Extensions

    Phoronix: Binomial's Basis Universal To Super-Compress glTF Assets, WebGL Gets New Extensions

    With SIGGRAPH 2019 happening next week in LA, The Khronos Group has already kicked off the news cycle by making several announcements from forming a 3D Commerce Initiative Working Group to releasing new WebGL extensions to making use of Binomical's Basis Universal tech for better compression...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...WebGL-New-Exts

  • #2
    Awesome, hope to see this in browsers and Android soon.

    Comment


    • #3
      Michael Binomical or Binomial?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Michael Binomical or Binomial?
        Binomial,
        This is from an ex Valve dev btw. Great that this at last got opensourced and now on the way to be generally useful

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by sheepdestroyer View Post

          Binomial,
          This is from an ex Valve dev btw. Great that this at last got opensourced and now on the way to be generally useful
          Surprising news, he was regretting open sourceing some of his tech before.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm mostly impressed with Autodesk joining Khronos and endorsing glTF

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ms178 View Post

              Surprising news, he was regretting open sourceing some of his tech before.
              Well, it says Google is "partnering" to open this up, so I assume they paid him a bunch of money to do this. I think that's all he really wanted, he wasn't philosophically against open sourcing stuff he just wasn't happy about not getting paid for it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

                Well, it says Google is "partnering" to open this up, so I assume they paid him a bunch of money to do this. I think that's all he really wanted, he wasn't philosophically against open sourcing stuff he just wasn't happy about not getting paid for it.
                Aye, I think he lost some business because of this. So as you said I also think that he got paid for this work and it is surely well-deserved. By the way, for the German speaking audience, talking about him, money and open source is pretty funny because his last name would roughly translate to Moneyrich.

                Comment


                • #9
                  From my impression of Rich on Twitter, I'd say he's not easy to work with and kind of paranoid.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    > From my impression of Rich on Twitter, I'd say he's not easy to work with and kind of paranoid.

                    From my impression of your posts here, you are obviously paranoid (as you're hiding behind an anonymous handle - I'm not), and you have insulted me on a public forum.

                    I've worked with many hundreds of developers and with dozens of companies over the decades. I don't have any problems working with anybody, as long as they aren't assholes like you just were.

                    -Rich

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X