LLVMpipe Software OpenGL Implementation Picks Up More GL4 Extensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVMpipe Software OpenGL Implementation Picks Up More GL4 Extensions

Phoronix: LLVMpipe Software OpenGL Implementation Picks Up More GL4 Extensions

It's 2019 and OpenGL 4.6 remains the latest version of this once predominant graphics API yet Mesa's Gallium3D LLVMpipe software rasterizer is still only exposing OpenGL 3.3...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think the goal here for llvmpipe will be OpenGL ES, rather than GL4.

Comment

The Webrender devs are experimenting in using LLVMpipe as the software fallback with WR so they can enable it everywhere. I hope these plans pan out, so there's only a single render path to care for.

https://mozillagfx.wordpress.com/201...newsletter-46/

Comment

Maybe LLVMpipe can also be used by GPU based on the RISC-V instruction set architecture.

Maybe LLVMpipe can use AVX2 and AVX-512 on x86, and AltiVec on POWER?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Maybe LLVMpipe can also be used by GPU based on the RISC-V instruction set architecture.

Maybe LLVMpipe can use AVX2 and AVX-512 on x86, and AltiVec on POWER?
          It tries to do this already.

Comment

Oh, this SWR seems to have much better performance than LLVMpipe.

Comment

AFAIK OpenSWR is designed specifically for *huge* scientific workloads with vast numbers of verticies that don't fit into GPU memory, llvmpipe is supposed to be better for games and desktop class stuff. It also requires AVX, so it's useless as a fallback renderer.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                llvmpipe runs on host, not on gpu
                in any case, gpu based on the risc-v is not going to fly

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  llvmpipe runs on host, not on gpu
                  in any case, gpu based on the risc-v is not going to fly
                  Well, some seem to think otherwise and pursuing exactly that.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

I wish LLVMpipe didn't require so much messing around to get it to report itself as compatible with modern OpenGL. I had to hunt down quite a few environment variables scattered around different places to get Doom 2016 to start on my core 2 duo box. Too bad I can't put enough RAM into it to get it to not crash before reaching the main menu.

Comment

Working...
                    X