Alyssa Rosenzweig Joins Collabora To Work On Panfrost Graphics Stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alyssa Rosenzweig Joins Collabora To Work On Panfrost Graphics Stack

Phoronix: Alyssa Rosenzweig Joins Collabora To Work On Panfrost Graphics Stack

The lead developer of the Panfrost open-source graphics driver stack, Alyssa Rosenzweig, has joined open-source consulting firm Collabora to continue work on this Arm Mali reverse-engineering adventure...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think that if those Panfrost goals are met this summer, libre software users will be able to run a new Pinebook Pro with no proprietary firmware blobs, and only a $10 atheros USB wifi dongle needed to replace the proprietary realtech wifi card. Should be a fairly nice experience too. Might see some neckbeards replacing their severely aging Libre-booted Thinkpad X200's and T400's.

Comment

This is a huge effort is an understatement. There so much work needed in the stack. Thumbs up to Collabora and Alyssa for putting in the effort.

Comment

congrats Alyssa!

Comment

Can we say that Phoronix helped her getting this job/internship by exposing her project to the public eye?

Comment

Did you guys hear that Arm announced the mali G77 gpu a few days ago, that uses a new gpu architecture called Valhall, the successor to Bitfrost. That will probably take a while to be supported.

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
              Did you guys hear that Arm announced the mali G77 gpu a few days ago, that uses a new gpu architecture called Valhall, the successor to Bitfrost. That will probably take a while to be supported.
              Yep heard of that. Sadly I don't think there is enough open Mali based hardware out there to justify the effort. I continue to look for ARM based hardware that doesn't suck and frankly it isn't easy. I was actually hoping that ARMs new owners would have implemented a few changes by now to make ARM and the Mali series of GPU's well supported. In the end we will get drivers for hardware just about the time those GPU's are no longer relevant.

Comment

Oh wow, congrats Alyssa (if you frequent this forum)! this is awesome news!

Comment

Many thanks to Alyssa and congratulations to Collabora for having signed her in.

Well, in my dream world a good Panfrost support may still compete with Valhall and cause slower sales of the newer versions, eventually pressing ARM to offer similarly open support if they want existing customers to buy again, since good free software helps their customers hold their existing hardware for longer and saving on new purchases. I know not everybody thinks like I do, but they eventually learn too ... ;op

Comment

And? There is still a boatload of devices that need this driver and won't become obsolete any time soon

Comment

Working...
                    X