Google Hired Another Linux Graphics Veteran To Work On Open-Source GPU Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robclark View Post

yeah, it was an engineer joke.. possibly that doesn't translate well (is the US the only place a train driver is called an "engineer"?)
    Nope. In Dutch it's called "machinist", which basically translates to "engineer".

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Someone sure loves his Hurd.
      I'd use HURD on a spare computer if it managed to boot up and shut down properly. The last time I tried it in a VM (USB booting doesn't work, so getting it to boot on real hardware is a pain), it would never shut down without completely nuking the file system in the process. I wish it took off, darn Linux had to steal the spot and become the center of attention.

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
        what do they need open source graphic drivers for at Google?
        Because the closed-source vendor drivers still suck?

Comment

And as starship11 wrote, Google needs very reliable and well performing Vega drivers for their Stadia remote gaming render farm. Since it's based on Linux, we (well, I'm for now on 1080TI but my second PC will have AMD) might all benefit on desktop as well. It does not say he was hired for that specific purpose however.
          Last edited by reavertm; 29 May 2019, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Nope. In Dutch it's called "machinist", which basically translates to "engineer".
            They are two different things in English/UK

And calling a train driver an engineer is just wrong, It's nearly as bad as calling software devs engineers.

Comment

I believe a train driver *is* called an engineer in the USA (sometimes "Locomotive Engineer").

Not sure about Canada, although you'd think I would be.
              Last edited by bridgman; 29 May 2019, 07:13 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

Working...
              X