Google Hired Another Linux Graphics Veteran To Work On Open-Source GPU Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Maybe Google is interested in improving all graphics drivers on Linux in order to enable hardware acceleration and WebGL in Chrome on Linux.
    I use Chromium with hardware acceleration force-enabled and works perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Maybe Google is interested in improving all graphics drivers on Linux in order to enable hardware acceleration and WebGL in Chrome on Linux.
      I think it's been on by default for me for a couple years now, with AMD and Intel mesa drivers... either that or the flag has stayed in my chrome profiles. Either way, I've had aprrox. zero issues with accelerated graphics in Chromium on Mesa with AMD and intel devices since 2013.

Unless you're referring to video decode acceleration, which is a bit trickier, seems that the VA-API tracker is missing just a couple things, and maybe Chromium is misusing the API a teeny tiny bit (though I'm not sure about that).

Comment

what do they need open source graphic drivers for at Google?
        ChromeOS?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Is it on a distro that baked in the patches not merged upstream?

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
            what do they need open source graphic drivers for at Google?
            ChromeOS?
            Computing, and Stadia https://store.google.com/magazine/stadia

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
              Where are the posts about Google sabotaging Linux? They actually managed to deal quite a lot of damage, and I hope they're backing off right now with their move to Fuschia.
              Why are companies like Google and Intel even allowed to touch open source stuff? They should've been banned ages ago. Especially Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                Why are companies like Google and Intel even allowed to touch open source stuff?
                Someone sure loves his Hurd.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Yes, but you have to force enable it yourself, because afaik Chrome blacklists some open source drivers so that hardware acceleration is not enabled by default.

Comment

I guess it's for Chrome OS on Qualcomm chipsets, since that's where they use Adreno GPUs. They also did ship the upstream kernel driver for Adreno GPUs on Pixel 3, so I guess there will be more work on that front.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
                      I guess it's for Chrome OS on Qualcomm chipsets, since that's where they use Adreno GPUs. They also did ship the upstream kernel driver for Adreno GPUs on Pixel 3, so I guess there will be more work on that front.
                      Don't forget the loads of chromebook based on ARM SoC's with mali. (rockchip, samsung).
                      I would breath better if I can finally ditch mali and use panfrost on all my mali using ARM SoC's. Actually, that's 99.99% of my systems. I do have a HTC dream from 2008 that sports a Qualcomm, but Qualcomm really is not that common here.

Comment

Working...
                      X