Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenGL 4.6 / SPIR-V Support Might Be Inching Closer For Mesa Drivers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OpenGL 4.6 / SPIR-V Support Might Be Inching Closer For Mesa Drivers

    Phoronix: OpenGL 4.6 / SPIR-V Support Might Be Inching Closer For Mesa Drivers

    We're quickly approaching the two year anniversary of the OpenGL 4.6 release and it's looking like the Intel/RadeonSI drivers might be inching towards the finish line for that latest major revision of the graphics API...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...6-Mesa-Inching

  • #2
    That patch was a suggestion I made when reviewing the ARB_gl_spriv merge request. The merge request has now been fully reviewed, we are just waiting on the Igalia devs to make the suggested changes. I'm not sure what the hold up is.

    Comment


    • #3
      OpenGL 4.6 support was only added in the intel windows gpu drivers a couple of weeks ago. Not sure why it took intel so long.

      Comment


      • #4
        Even if it is not required by any game right now it's good to see getting this completed!

        Comment


        • #5
          Chicken and egg problem.. no-one-s using it because there's no OpenGL 4.6 implementation.
          There's no implementation of OpenGL 4.6 available because allegedly there's no-one using it.

          Comment


          • #6
            ARB_gl_spriv ? or ARB_gl_spirv?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
              Chicken and egg problem.. no-one-s using it because there's no OpenGL 4.6 implementation.
              There's no implementation of OpenGL 4.6 available because allegedly there's no-one using it.
              Wrong. Drivers have to expose all the hardware can do, period.

              They can't just say "no there is no user". No shit sherlock, but if you don't make the driver supporting all features who buys that newer hardware.

              This is a case of not being in a big hurry, and having bigger issues to deal with.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
                OpenGL 4.6 support was only added in the intel windows gpu drivers a couple of weeks ago. Not sure why it took intel so long.
                To my knowledge, Intel's Linux drivers have always been developed completely independently of the Windows drivers. So, if you're implying that Linux should've got the support immediately after Windows, I don't think that would be the case. As for why Windows itself took so long to get support, that is a bit odd to me.

                Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
                Even if it is not required by any game right now it's good to see getting this completed!
                I agree. It'll be a nice warm fuzzy feeling seeing 100% for all of OpenGL on mesamatrix, at least for i965 and radeonsi; I'm sure nvc0 will eventually catch up.

                Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
                Chicken and egg problem.. no-one-s using it because there's no OpenGL 4.6 implementation.
                There's no implementation of OpenGL 4.6 available because allegedly there's no-one using it.
                I don't think that's so much the case here. OpenGL 4.5 and (to my recollection) 4.4 weren't really used much despite drivers being available for them for a while. And that was before Vulkan was released. Now that Vulkan is available, I don't see why most devs would deliberately seek 4.6.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  [...]So, if you're implying that Linux should've got the support immediately after Windows, I don't think that would be the case. As for why Windows itself took so long to get support, that is a bit odd to me.
                  Actually I interpreted hajj_3's message as "why Windows itself took so long to get support" not as "Linux should've got the support immediately after Windows"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'm not a native speaker so i might be mistaken.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X