Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora's Mesa Drivers Have Been Running Slower As They Were Accidentally Debug Builds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora's Mesa Drivers Have Been Running Slower As They Were Accidentally Debug Builds

Phoronix: Fedora's Mesa Drivers Have Been Running Slower As They Were Accidentally Debug Builds

It turns out Fedora 29's Mesa 19.0 packages have recently been shipping in a "debug" mode since they switched to using the Meson build system and that has been leading to slower performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Lol. That's one of those mistakes I've made around 4:30 in the afternoon before.

Comment

Not to be pedantic, but F29 ships with Mesa 18, while Mesa 19 will be in F30

Comment

How long has Mesa been packaged like that on F29?

I noticed a huge performance issue when using R600_DEBUG=nir on F29 days ago, but not on openSUSE TW; just figured I was doing something to cause the problem and didn't report it as an actual bug report, but posted it on Reddit just to see if anyone else was experiencing it: https://old.reddit.com/r/Fedora/comm..._compile_time/

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
          Not to be pedantic, but F29 ships with Mesa 18, while Mesa 19 will be in F30
          That's crucial subject matter and not pedantic at all. Pedantic would be pointing out that this sentence needs some grammatical help:
          Since yesterday evening, an updates Mesa package for Fedora 29/30 are now available for testing and should soon be rolling out as stable updates.
          We'll save that honor for tildearrow though.

Comment

It's a conspiracy by Red Hat and Microsoft to prevent the Linux desktop I swear.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              Lol. That's one of those mistakes I've made around 4:30 in the afternoon before.
              More like 4:20

Comment

Originally posted by yossarianuk View Post

More like 4:20
                That's when I was getting high. 4:28 is when I'd get back to the computer. 4:30 is when I'd make the mistake.

Comment

FeDOHa 29...... ; )

Comment

Not only Fedora, but Debian and Ubuntu too Only recently (after bugs was filled) they disabled it:

* rules: Add meson option -Db_ndebug=true to disable assertions (Related bugs: #920462, #922162, #922346).
                    https://metadata.ftp-master.debian.o....4-2_changelog

I guess also some of Ubuntu PPAs you were using was affected too... oibaf i think

That isn't even a bug, just optional debug feature enabled that affects perf a bit... kind of 5% maybe, was enabled for 3 months for rollers so who cares
                    Last edited by dungeon; 26 March 2019, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X