Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW Volleys Open-Source "RAMSES" Distributed 3D Rendering System

Phoronix: BMW Volleys Open-Source "RAMSES" Distributed 3D Rendering System

For those interested in distributed 3D rendering, the developers at BMW recently received clearance to open-source RAMSES, a 3D rendering system optimized for bandwidth and resource efficiency...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

a opengl base is perfect for radeon pro multigpu systems !!!

Comment

I feel like FOSS releases are fairly rare from non IT industry companies. Right on BMW!!

Comment

Neat, probably used for the rear-seat entertainment screens and the new all-digital cockpit displays?

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
          Neat, probably used for the rear-seat entertainment screens and the new all-digital cockpit displays?
          If it gets ported to QNX, then yes. QNX is what powers more and more digital cockpits and entertainment screens in cars these days, it's getting increasingly more popular.

Comment

I didn't look at the code in detail, but I'm pretty sure it already works with QNX. I remember that QNX 6 compiled a lot of free software without changes (userland).

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
              If it gets ported to QNX, then yes. QNX is what powers more and more digital cockpits and entertainment screens in cars these days, it's getting increasingly more popular.
              Pretty sure BMW's iDrive system uses VxWorks. I've only worked briefly in embedded, but VxWorks seemed (to me) to have more market presence than QNX. At least in motorsport, where both Bosch and Siemens are heavy into VxWorks.
              Last edited by torsionbar28; 21 February 2019, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                Pretty sure BMW's iDrive system uses VxWorks. I've only worked briefly in embedded, but VxWorks seemed (to me) to have more market presence than QNX. At least in motorsport, where both Bosch and Siemens are heavy into VxWorks.
                The iDrive uses QNX: I downloaded a software update for my F36, unpacked it (it's a tar archive), and unpacked one update archive. It contains an encrypted RPM,
                AND the openssl binary to decrypt it:

Code:
                $ tar xvf UPD09032.bin
                $ tar xvf SWUP_00002595_001_032_032.bin
                beschreibungstabelle.sgbm
                openssl
                pre_inst.scr
                SWUP_00002595_001_032_032-1.0-1.i386.rpm
                SWUP_00002595_001_032_032-1.0-1.i386.rpm.encrypted
                $ file openssl
                openssl: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, version 1 (ARM), dynamically linked, interpreter [B]/usr/lib/ldqnx.so.2[/B], not stripped
                I don't know the key, but it seems that the updater is run on an ARM-based QNX system, while the main entertainment screen runs on x86.

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
                  The iDrive uses QNX: I downloaded a software update for my F36, unpacked it (it's a tar archive), and unpacked one update archive. It contains an encrypted RPM,
                  AND the openssl binary to decrypt it:
                  Interesting, this must be a recent development for the newest models. iDrive was VxWorks for many years, and Windows CE before that, apparently:

https://www.lifewire.com/examining-t...terface-534742

Edit: looks like wikipedia has the timeline: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IDrive

iDrive Professional Navigation (CCC)
                  It debuted in 2003 with the E60/E61 5 Series and is based on Wind River VxWorks, a real-time operating system.[5] CCC stands for Car Communication Computer and uses a larger 8.8" wide-screen display.

iDrive Professional Navigation (CIC)
                  It debuted in September 2008 with F01/F02 7 Series. CIC stands for Car Information Computer and is manufactured by Becker, utilizing the QNX operating system.
                  Last edited by torsionbar28; 22 February 2019, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                    Yes, sorry, my bad. I misread the post of the person I quoted. Thought he was talking about other brands, but he was talking about BMW. But still, BMW is one of the many car manufacturers using QNX (it's adoption is growing rapidly!), so my point still kind of stands.

Comment

Working...
                    X