Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa 18.3.4 Brings VA-API VP9 Improvements, More Coffeelake/Icelake IDs For Intel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    And who said mobile GPU needs it more?
    The difference between a weak laptop/system with a APU and a desktop with a GPU is that VP9 decoding (and encoding) is nice to have on the desktop and actually needed to play it on the weak-ass laptop. I have a cute little 13.3" machine with a nice IPS screen and a Intel CPU that's so weak it can barely do anything. It can't even play HEVC and VP9 without hardware decoding. It is needed as in required if you want to play video. It's great to have hardware decoding on desktops but it's not like you can't play video at all if you don't have it (unlike phones and weaker laptops).

It's worth mentioning that Intel CPUs have had VP9 decoding since Broadwell (or earlier). It's very pathetic that AMD are still selling brand new dedicated CPUs and GPUs without this. They should have VP9 and AV1 encoding and decoding as a standard feature on either one. Doesn't have to be GPUs if they CPUs have it (think of it as a feature like AVX).

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
      I find all this mobile vs. desktop debate interesting, considering Raven Ridge is a desktop APU .
      Raven Ridge announced at May 30, 2017. then mobile lauched first at October 26, 2017, later on Raven Ridge desktop February 12, 2018... and then there is Raven Ridge for embedded also, so called V1000 serie

Basically RR is mobile/desktop/embedded market

Fastest RR could be 4.5 times faster than slowest, but when it comes to hardware video decoding/encoding they are all the same

Comment

xiando - No, Intel added VP9 decoding only on Kabylake+ IIRC. My Skylake GPUs don't have it. Broadwell and earlier don't have it for sure.

Maybe you're thinking about VP8? I think that was introduced in Broadwell and later.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
          xiando - No, Intel added VP9 decoding only on Kabylake+ IIRC. My Skylake GPUs don't have it. Broadwell and earlier don't have it for sure.

Maybe you're thinking about VP8? I think that was introduced in Broadwell and later.
          I have the Broadwell technology.

libva info: VA-API version 1.4.0
          libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
          libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib64/dri/i965_drv_video.so
          libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_4
          libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
          vainfo: VA-API version: 1.4 (libva 2.4.0)
          vainfo: Driver version: Intel i965 driver for Intel(R) Broadwell - 2.3.0
          vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
          VAProfileMPEG2Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileMPEG2Simple : VAEntrypointEncSlice
          VAProfileMPEG2Main : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileMPEG2Main : VAEntrypointEncSlice
          VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointEncSlice
          VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointEncSlice
          VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointEncSlice
          VAProfileH264MultiviewHigh : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileH264MultiviewHigh : VAEntrypointEncSlice
          VAProfileH264StereoHigh : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileH264StereoHigh : VAEntrypointEncSlice
          VAProfileVC1Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileVC1Main : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileVC1Advanced : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileNone : VAEntrypointVideoProc
          VAProfileJPEGBaseline : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileVP8Version0_3 : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileVP9Profile0 : VAEntrypointVLD

and that is how I know it has the VP9 hardware decoding. Well, the one I have has anyway. idk about yours.

Comment

xiando - Are you using that hybrid Intel libva driver? I heard it supports VP9 partially. Have you tested with VP9 videos to see if it actually reduces CPU usage, and uses the HW decoder?

Comment

xiando - sandy8925 is right, Broadwell and Skylake have a hybrid VP9 decoder, which means a combination of CPU and GPU shaders. They do not have a dedicated VP9 decoder. Hybrid decoders are a lot less efficient than dedicated decoders, though they can help when the CPU is weak - the hybrid VP9 decoder was commissioned by Google for use in Chromebooks.
              Last edited by Gusar; 24 February 2019, 07:12 AM.

Comment

yeah, it's the hybrid thing. I actually looked it up. It was wrong to just assume it's hardware because vainfo says it's doing VP9 & mpv reports using that. truth is that it's just a cheat.

Comment

Working...
                X