X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by Brisse View Post
    Yes, but is that really a problem? Personally I couldn't afford either of them so for me it's certainly not an issue.
    Not saying it's a problem - just trying to share the best information we currently have.

In reference to @eydee's post, I see the dichotomy between improvements in hardware and software as a false one. You don't only need one or the other, but both! Perhaps we can all agree on that.
    Last edited by coder; 02-04-2019, 07:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Brisse
    replied
    Originally posted by coder View Post
    That will only challenge a regular RTX 2080 - not the RTX 2080 Ti.
    Yes, but is that really a problem? Personally I couldn't afford either of them so for me it's certainly not an issue.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by Brisse View Post
    eydee You realize they are releasing a 7nm Vega20 in less than one week, right?
    That will only challenge a regular RTX 2080 - not the RTX 2080 Ti.

Leave a comment:

• TheLexMachine
    replied
    Originally posted by brent View Post
    What's this going to be used for? Hybrid video decode acceleration? AMD now ships older APUs that don't have full VP9 decode acceleration in Chromebooks. I'm sure Google is interested in at least *some* VP9 acceleration. So is this going to be used for hybrid VP9 decode acceleration, like on Windows?
    It is used for video processing functions, like upscaling, sharpening, de-interlacing, etc. that low-end/older hardware requires CPU resources to use. HVD is a different thing.

Leave a comment:

• pete910
    replied
    Typo !

AMD's Linux graphics deriver developers

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by eydee View Post
    How about some hardware to go with it? People are laughing in 2080 Ti soon enough, while AMD has been only doing software in the last few years. Poor Volta, I guess.
    Considering the price point and disappointment of RTX, I don't think too many 2080Ti owners should be laughing.

Besides - this is an optimization feature. If you're going to have inferior performance (like AMD) might as well maximize it as much as you can.

Leave a comment:

• tuxd3v
    replied
    Originally posted by eydee View Post
    How about some hardware to go with it? People are laughing in 2080 Ti soon enough, while AMD has been only doing software in the last few years. Poor Volta, I guess.
    AMD is making its Software transition to AMDGPU,
    And so, it makes a lot of sense in optimizing the drivers, also this optimizations will help new hardware, like the 7nm VII
    Software Optimization is a good thing.

Leave a comment:

• Brisse
    replied
    eydee You realize they are releasing a 7nm Vega20 in less than one week, right?

Leave a comment:

• eydee
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AsuMagic
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter Fodrek View Post

From my point of view tp this article:
    It seems that some parts of driver / graphics API will not run on CPU but on GPU.

It can lower data transfers between CPU and GPU and it may speed up GPU friver significantly.

Sounds like good news. Hopefully we will be able to see improvements "soon"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X