Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Prepping Compute Shader Support For Video Compositor Rendering

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMD Prepping Compute Shader Support For Video Compositor Rendering

    Phoronix: AMD Prepping Compute Shader Support For Video Compositor Rendering

    AMD's Linux graphics deriver developers are preparing a set of Mesa patches that allow for compute shaders to be used for the video compositor render process within Gallium3D's video layer code...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...hader-Vid-Rend

  • #2
    What's this going to be used for? Hybrid video decode acceleration? AMD now ships older APUs that don't have full VP9 decode acceleration in Chromebooks. I'm sure Google is interested in at least *some* VP9 acceleration. So is this going to be used for hybrid VP9 decode acceleration, like on Windows?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by brent View Post
      What's this going to be used for? Hybrid video decode acceleration? AMD now ships older APUs that don't have full VP9 decode acceleration in Chromebooks. I'm sure Google is interested in at least *some* VP9 acceleration. So is this going to be used for hybrid VP9 decode acceleration, like on Windows?
      From my point of view tp this article:
      It seems that some parts of driver / graphics API will not run on CPU but on GPU.

      It can lower data transfers between CPU and GPU and it may speed up GPU friver significantly.



      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Peter Fodrek View Post

        From my point of view tp this article:
        It seems that some parts of driver / graphics API will not run on CPU but on GPU.

        It can lower data transfers between CPU and GPU and it may speed up GPU friver significantly.


        Sounds like good news. Hopefully we will be able to see improvements "soon"

        Comment


        • #5
          How about some hardware to go with it? People are laughing in 2080 Ti soon enough, while AMD has been only doing software in the last few years. Poor Volta, I guess.

          Comment


          • #6
            eydee You realize they are releasing a 7nm Vega20 in less than one week, right?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by eydee View Post
              How about some hardware to go with it? People are laughing in 2080 Ti soon enough, while AMD has been only doing software in the last few years. Poor Volta, I guess.
              AMD is making its Software transition to AMDGPU,
              And so, it makes a lot of sense in optimizing the drivers, also this optimizations will help new hardware, like the 7nm VII
              Software Optimization is a good thing.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by eydee View Post
                How about some hardware to go with it? People are laughing in 2080 Ti soon enough, while AMD has been only doing software in the last few years. Poor Volta, I guess.
                Considering the price point and disappointment of RTX, I don't think too many 2080Ti owners should be laughing.

                Besides - this is an optimization feature. If you're going to have inferior performance (like AMD) might as well maximize it as much as you can.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Typo !

                  AMD's Linux graphics deriver developers

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by brent View Post
                    What's this going to be used for? Hybrid video decode acceleration? AMD now ships older APUs that don't have full VP9 decode acceleration in Chromebooks. I'm sure Google is interested in at least *some* VP9 acceleration. So is this going to be used for hybrid VP9 decode acceleration, like on Windows?
                    It is used for video processing functions, like upscaling, sharpening, de-interlacing, etc. that low-end/older hardware requires CPU resources to use. HVD is a different thing.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X