Mesa 18.3.2 Released With Many Fixes As Users Encouraged To Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
    Tried debianxfce's pre-built kernel but that was also a no-go as it lacked some crypto module which I need to unlock my boot drive, lol
    Still can't get Linux 5.0 to compile. Appreciate all the tips I've gotten so far but none of it has changed anything. And yes, make dep-pkg -j16 is normally how I do it.
    May be try it from a clean clone of kernel git? Something could be messed up from your previous configs.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Agreed. The most unpleasant case for me is when Mesa hits some higher minimum requirements for libdrm or wayland protocols and such, and Debian is frozen with older ones. Then you can't build Mesa without also building all such dependencies. Not insurmountable, but messy.

Other than that, I'm OK with periodically building Mesa and the kernel during the freeze.
      Well, this Mesa 18.3.2 now entered in Sid, so that 18.3.x would be in Buster release. And that is it, anything else you could build youself during frozen spring days

Joking a bit, they could upload newer in experimental anyway. And newer kernels also only in experimental. Nothing newer than these versions will be in Sid anymore
      Last edited by dungeon; 17 January 2019, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Well, this Mesa 18.3.2 now entered in Sid, so that 18.3.x would be in Buster release. And that is it, anything else you could build youself during frozen spring days

Joking a bit, they could upload newer in experimental anyway. And newer kernels also only in experimental. Nothing newer than these versions will be in Sid anymore
        The last one I see is 18.3.1 in experimental: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/mesa
        And I have it installed I'm still building Mesa master periodically, to use newer llvm.

Comment

The last one I see is 18.3.1 in experimental: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/mesa
          And I have it installed I'm still building Mesa master periodically, to use newer llvm.
          It is accepted so entering Sid, now building, so first in incoming repo still:

That is for these who *really* can't wait couple hours

It is a slow process, you know. Takes time as it needs to build for 20 architectures or at least 10 For somebody it might appear only in 12 hours, depending on geographic location or whatever

edit: and 18.2.8 backport accepted for Debian 9, so everything is up to date
          Last edited by dungeon; 17 January 2019, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

It is accepted so entering Sid, now building, so first in incoming repo still:

That is for these who *really* can't wait couple hours
            Good to know, thanks! Bookmarked

Comment

Originally posted by tichun

"Hey Joe, listen, I'm calling you because your Ubuntu has outdated drivers.
              I have instructions to update them, listen, google 'padoka ppa', ctrl+f 'sudo add-apt-repository ' and copy this whole line, open terminal, paste it, type your password, press enter, type sudo apt dist-upgrade -y and here you go.
              Listen, if that is somewhat uncomfortable feel free to install Arch Linux, you'll have updated graphic driver by default.
              You could also wait, because it is not available as of yet, and then fire up the terminal and type 'sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-hwe-18.04 xserver-xorg-hwe-18.04 ' - it will still be outdated but a little bit less .
              Hope you are enjoying your Linux stay
              PS
              Remember to repeat the process for your family members and friends that use Ubuntu as well."

edit: were these PPA's so stable/tested, wouldn't Canonical just add them by themselves?
              If windows users can go to a vendor website, navigate the options to find the download, then run through multiple step installers, they can definitely copy/paste a sudo apt command.

There are options out there that have made it even easier, too, and provide things like a single clickable link that does all the work for you.

Comment

Originally posted by tichun
                What do you mean that users are encouraged to upgrade?
                Actual users of upstream software, and the people addressed in the mailing list are either people running a Linux From Scratch setup or distro/ppa/repository maintainers.

Comment

Good to know, thanks! Bookmarked
                  Well, just to say how first thing i spot in comparison of this 18.3.2 to earlier 18.2.8 are black artifacticts (kind of zfighting here and there) in various games regression Basically it is very much better to discourage average Joes to use these first points of so called stable, but actually timed releases of either kernels or mesas too

Any project which do timed releases so they must release something on time, is by definition or soooner or later will be broken simply because as that goes against nature of people Stability is something that depends on testing and on real proof that something is not borked, that always require more time always more time than average Joe libido desires

I really think (regardless what marketing wanna claim ) that first releases of nearly everthing is broken, there is not enough testing so that everything is fine on releases. So rolling releases of everything but without issues for an average Joe is real and had always been very pretty shiny utter real... mission impossible
                  Last edited by dungeon; 18 January 2019, 06:09 AM.

Comment

But, OK could be Debian issue still, will see... as this 18.3.2 is first one in Sid that is built with Meson, while before one was with Autotools

So could be cockroaches are coming from there, Meson might decide to pick his own off flags or whatever

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

If windows users can go to a vendor website, navigate the options to find the download, then run through multiple step installers, they can definitely copy/paste a sudo apt command.

There are options out there that have made it even easier, too, and provide things like a single clickable link that does all the work for you.
                      But they usually have this strange allergy towards command line interfaces, and they are stuck with old bad habits they refuse to change. They often think of the hard, inefficient and insecure way as the easy efficient way and vice versa.

The few who do give the gnu and the penguin a chance often think they have to do everything in the terminal even when there's a GUI option they didn't even bother to look for, and whenever they should use the terminal, they just sit and look through the GUI options.

Then they start copy pasta random things they don't understand into the terminal which breaks their distro and they're back to Windows again.

Windows users are wierd...

Comment

Working...
                      X