Mesa 18.3.2 Released With Many Fixes As Users Encouraged To Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 18.3.2 Released With Many Fixes As Users Encouraged To Upgrade

Phoronix: Mesa 18.3.2 Released With Many Fixes As Users Encouraged To Upgrade

With the Mesa 18.2.8 release at the end of December being the last release of that driver series, users should really consider upgrading to Mesa 18.3. Fortunately, Mesa 18.3.2 is out this morning with dozens of fixes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by tichun
    What do you mean that users are encouraged to upgrade? It is not their choice but distributors'.
    Or you know, you could be using a 3rd party repository.
    Ubuntu (in your example) has PPA exactly for that, and it's the source Michael usually uses to test newer release.

Comment

What do you mean that users are encouraged to upgrade? It is not their choice but distributors'. Ubuntu 18.04 LTS which is the most modern base for a lot of distributions and is popular itself has mesa 18.0.0-rc5. If someone skipped 18.04 as 16.04 has 5 years of support and not 2, then this person has mesa 11.2.0, and if someone still doesn't want to mess with their system upgrade and rocks 14.04 then mesa is at version 10. Debian stable - 13.0.6 Ehh..?
      If someone uses Arch or any rolling release distribution, the situation is diffent.
      If someone uses a PPA for Ubuntu, the situation is different.
      If someone uses Ubuntu with LTS enabled stacks, the situation is different.

Comment

What do you mean that users are encouraged to upgrade? It is not their choice but distributors'. Ubuntu 18.04 LTS which is the most modern base for a lot of distributions and is popular itself has mesa 18.0.0-rc5. If someone skipped 18.04 as 16.04 has 5 years of support and not 2, then this person has mesa 11.2.0, and if someone still doesn't want to mess with their system upgrade and rocks 14.04 then mesa is at version 10. Debian stable - 13.0.6 Ehh..?
        Then it should be users' choice to pick distros which keep Mesa up to date. Besides, at least for gaming you don't need to use default installed Mesa. You can have a custom one alongside it, used only for launching what you need and not globally.

Comment

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS which is the most modern base for a lot of distributions and is popular itself has mesa 18.0.0-rc5.
          18.0.5 =P

UPD: and AFAIK they provide newer mesa via HWE
          Last edited by puleglot; 17 January 2019, 08:51 AM.

Comment

https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic-u...ibgl1-mesa-dri

Ubuntu do HWE upgrades about 3 months after middle releases happens so 3 months after Ubuntu 18.10 is released, 18.04 get stack from 18.10 and updated a bit i guess That should happen now in february i guess.

And Debian 9 have backports:

https://packages.debian.org/stretch-...ibgl1-mesa-dri

Currently that is at mesa 18.2.6, before that same Debian 9 backport user had mesa 18.1.9, then 17.3.9... it does not matter because distro is released with 13.0.6, people have backport if they wanna use these ultra stable mesa versions

So i dunno what you are tallking about, Debian 9 user had near all ultra stable mesa releases entire last year available in backports

Backports are optional, so if someone wanna stay with 13.0.6 that is fine too

If something is broken in newer mesa backport and you wanna some earlier release let say you wanna stay with 18.1.9 or for whatever reason, activate snapshot and go back in time

Last edited by dungeon; 17 January 2019, 09:41 AM.

Comment

edit: were these PPA's so stable/tested, wouldn't Canonical just add them by themselves?
              Well, random PPAs are not stable

Debian 9 is stable, Ubuntu 18.04 is LTS... these prefer only very stable mesa versions to upgrade (in Debian 9 or Ubuntu Server upgrades are entirely optional). Month to tree months after initial release happen.

From mesa initial release point 0 to last point 8/9/whatever there are usually more than 100 days difference you know Optional upgrades 2-4 times annualy are good enough for stable user and even for average Joe i guess

Hope you are enjoying your Linux stay
              You can build your own mesa several times daily if you want, that is again up to you Grow your skills, raise your scripts and do it just do not forget to bookmark bugzilla
              Last edited by dungeon; 17 January 2019, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Just built Mesa from upstream git because I wanted to try out Freesync and with Meson support it's easier than ever. Building Mesa really used to give me a headache before Meson.

Linux 5.0 release candidates are not building properly on my system though so I've yet to get Freesync running.

Comment

You can have an updated mesa using flatpak runtimes without messing with your lts distro.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                    Download kernel sources from kernel.org. No problems to make Debian packages for 5.0 rc kernel with Debian testing/sid:
                    fakeroot make-kpkg -j 12 --initrd kernel_image kernel_headers
                    My kernel config: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=...76055818948255
                    That's what I'm trying to do, but I get stuck at
                    Code:
                    AR      kernel/built-in.a
                    make[1]: Lämnar katalogen ”/home/qwerty/linux-5.0-rc2”
                    make: *** [debian/ruleset/targets/common.mk:301: debian/stamp/build/kernel] Fel 2
                    Same when I try rc1

Comment

Working...
                    X