Mesa 18.3.2 Released With Many Fixes As Users Encouraged To Upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tichun View Post
    You people just scored an own goal by saying that linux users should compile their own drivers. Congratulations.
    Well, this is open source, so compilation is indeed possible option

Mesa do just 4 releases annually, so why do you complain? I don't see more releases than that, 5 for kernel annually, etc... everything else is news from development area

In 2-3 months nothing much new happen other than development. Average user Joe could recheck projects quarterly and won't miss much anyway
    Last edited by dungeon; 01-17-2019, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Well, this is open source, so compilation is indeed possible option
      It's useful for Debian in particular, since even normally rolling testing and unstable are now in the freeze.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

It's useful for Debian in particular, since even normally rolling testing and unstable are now in the freeze.
        That is how things are in Debian. Of every 24 months, 18 months are rolling development, then about 6 months of freeze for stabilisation and again

Comment

That is how things are in Debian. Of every 24 months, 18 months are rolling development, then about 6 months of freeze for stabilisation and again
          Sometimes new kernels are added to experimental during the freeze too, so it can save some compiling.

6 months though is way too long for the freeze. What happened to "always releasable testing" proposal?

https://lwn.net/Articles/550032/
          Last edited by shmerl; 01-17-2019, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Sometimes new kernels are added to experimental during the freeze too, so it can save some compiling.

6 months though is way too long for the freeze. What happened to "always releasable testing" proposal?

https://lwn.net/Articles/550032/
            Well, freeze is literally 7 +-1 months, but is not entire frozen, say half of that could be nasty - 2-3 months really But they (release managment team) are trying hard to diminish that period, so if it is just 2 months deep frozen you could call that success Or if it happens to be more than 3, now that is not good score

It will skip one kernel release period and that is it, everything is fine
            Last edited by dungeon; 01-17-2019, 02:53 PM.

Comment

so if it is just 2 months deep frozen you could call that success Or if it happens to be more than 3, now that is not good score
              Agreed. The most unpleasant case for me is when Mesa hits some higher minimum requirements for libdrm or wayland protocols and such, and Debian is frozen with older ones. Then you can't build Mesa without also building all such dependencies. Not insurmountable, but messy.

Other than that, I'm OK with periodically building Mesa and the kernel during the freeze.
              Last edited by shmerl; 01-17-2019, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Tried debianxfce's pre-built kernel but that was also a no-go as it lacked some crypto module which I need to unlock my boot drive, lol
                Still can't get Linux 5.0 to compile. Appreciate all the tips I've gotten so far but none of it has changed anything. And yes, make dep-pkg -j16 is normally how I do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
                  Tried debianxfce's pre-built kernel but that was also a no-go as it lacked some crypto module which I need to unlock my boot drive, lol
                  Still can't get Linux 5.0 to compile. Appreciate all the tips I've gotten so far but none of it has changed anything. And yes, make dep-pkg -j16 is normally how I do it.
                  May be try it from a clean clone of kernel git? Something could be messed up from your previous configs.

Comment

Agreed. The most unpleasant case for me is when Mesa hits some higher minimum requirements for libdrm or wayland protocols and such, and Debian is frozen with older ones. Then you can't build Mesa without also building all such dependencies. Not insurmountable, but messy.

Other than that, I'm OK with periodically building Mesa and the kernel during the freeze.
                    Well, this Mesa 18.3.2 now entered in Sid, so that 18.3.x would be in Buster release. And that is it, anything else you could build youself during frozen spring days

Joking a bit, they could upload newer in experimental anyway. And newer kernels also only in experimental. Nothing newer than these versions will be in Sid anymore
                    Last edited by dungeon; 01-17-2019, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Well, this Mesa 18.3.2 now entered in Sid, so that 18.3.x would be in Buster release. And that is it, anything else you could build youself during frozen spring days

Joking a bit, they could upload newer in experimental anyway. And newer kernels also only in experimental. Nothing newer than these versions will be in Sid anymore
                      The last one I see is 18.3.1 in experimental: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/mesa
                      And I have it installed I'm still building Mesa master periodically, to use newer llvm.

Comment

Working...
                      X