Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 19.0 Deprecates GNU Autotools Build System In Favor Of Meson

Phoronix: Mesa 19.0 Deprecates GNU Autotools Build System In Favor Of Meson

Last month was a proposed patch that would have killed the Autotools build system within Mesa. Developers have decided for the upcoming Mesa 19.0 release not to eliminate this GNU Autotools support but rather to mark it as deprecated and require an extra flag in order to make use of it...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Bullshit. Though I wouldn't expect something else from RH puppets.

is better cross-platform compatibility
    That one is especially hilarious. I know quite some platform where bash or at least sh does exists, so autotools-based configure would tell at least something, but there is absolutely no stuff required to run meson, etc... so its actually just plain f...g lie.
    Last edited by SystemCrasher; 17 January 2019, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Wow, trolling and conspiracy theory in the first post. A new low for Phoronix

Comment

Such a great fuckup of build systems in such a short time frame with a such a hilarious arguments is a new low for MESA project, in first place.

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
          Bullshit. Though I wouldn't expect something else from RH puppets.

That one is especially hilarious. I know quite some platform where bash or at least sh does exists, so autotools-based configure would tell at least something, but there is absolutely no stuff required to run meson, etc... so its actually just plain f...g lie.
          No one upstream claimed that, as far as I can tell. I have no idea where Michael got that claim.

Comment

Originally posted by mattst88 View Post

No one upstream claimed that, as far as I can tell. I have no idea where Michael got that claim.
            I imagine he's talking about windows support, and the plans Mesa has to do away with scons.

Comment

Well, scons is even more awful than meson. This said, autotools configure can send you to hell even on very exotic platforms, that barely got posix-like shell. And that's a start. To even begin with meson one needs python, ninja and plenty of other crap. Yet these meson devs claim it better at portability. Gross misnomer. Though I wouldn't expect less from "high productivlty build system". Rapid crap devs are all like this - good at loud marketing, but, unfortunately, pesky technical details usually prove to be nowhere as exciting as marketing BS tells it.

So autotools grown large, slow and bloated. However that's because they do hell a lot of checks for strange shit known to exist in busload of various strange configurations. Meson wouldn't even be able to start on many of these, to begin with. Yet they dare to mumble about better portability. Really cool.

So uhm whatever, this commit scores my least favorite change to MESA in last 10 years. Screw that.

Comment

Working...
              X