Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Soft" FP64/INT64 Implementations Merged To Mesa, Intel Driver Already Making Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Soft" FP64/INT64 Implementations Merged To Mesa, Intel Driver Already Making Use

Phoronix: "Soft" FP64/INT64 Implementations Merged To Mesa, Intel Driver Already Making Use

For those with older graphics processors, rejoice as with the upcoming Mesa 19.0 driver release it might now be possible to have OpenGL 4.0 thanks to software-based implementations of ARB_gpu_shader_int64 and ARB_gpu_shader_fp64 finally being merged to mainline. The FP64 one is most notable with that being a requirement for OpenGL 4.0 but some older GPUs lacking that capability for bumping past OpenGL 3.3...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

My Sandy Bridge iGPU and 6770M dGPU definetly want to see the OpenGL 4.0 mark crossed in their lifetime. As mentioned in the comments on that Sandy Bridge article Michael linked, other people pointed out that Sandy Bridge still needs other work to get over the OpenGL 4.0 mark and I can not say if the hardware lacks support for it entirely or if it just takes additional implementation effort. Unfortunately I doubt that we will see that additional love if it were needed. Their Windows drivers stopped even at OpenGL 3.2. I even switched to Linux for better hardware support for both of these graphics divas as there were major bugs on Windows for them.

Comment

Hi, while we're still on the 'r600 page' .. particularly those that don't support hardware fp64, and that this implementation relies on NIR lowering, .... sorry for spilling the beans but, have you been aware of Gert Wollny's work related to r600 NIR backend: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/gerdd...mmits/r600-nir ?

Comment

I still miss Mesa 18.3.2.

Comment

How exactly it's beneficial for Sandy Bridge? It's don't have tessellation too so it's won't get over 3.3 anyway.

Comment

I have an i7-4790K and I wonder why my Arch Linux with Mesa 18.3 reports OpenGL 3.3...
            Intel HD 4600 so bad on linux?

Comment

My HD 5770 is still kickin... looking forward to trying this out when Radeon is enabled and oibaf has it. \o/

Comment

Originally posted by man-walking View Post
                I have an i7-4790K and I wonder why my Arch Linux with Mesa 18.3 reports OpenGL 3.3...
                Intel HD 4600 so bad on linux?
                Are you sure that you're interpreting the output of whichever command you are using correctly?

Comment

Would probably like to see what the CPU impacts are when running OpenGL 4.0 materials with a software FP. Probably no better than Intels' hybrid codec for Haswell.

Comment

Originally posted by Slithery View Post
                    Are you sure that you're interpreting the output of whichever command you are using correctly?
                    I'm not sure but...
                    Code:
                    $ glxinfo | grep "OpenGL version"
                    OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 18.3.1
                    Correction, it's 3.0

Comment

Working...
                    X