Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SPIR-V Clover Support Might Still Land For Mesa 19.0, Working Towards Nouveau OpenCL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPIR-V Clover Support Might Still Land For Mesa 19.0, Working Towards Nouveau OpenCL

Phoronix: SPIR-V Clover Support Might Still Land For Mesa 19.0, Working Towards Nouveau OpenCL

One of the major open-source GPU compute driver initiatives going the past year has been the Red Hat folks working on adding Nouveau SPIR-V support as part of allowing GPU compute to work for this open-source NVIDIA driver. By longtime Nouveau contributor Pierre Moreau has also been work on adding SPIR-V support to Clover, the Gallium3D OpenCL state tracker...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo ("By" is unnecessary)
    By longtime Nouveau contributor Pierre Moreau has also been work on adding SPIR-V support to Clover
    The day when people can use the Nouveau driver for heavy workloads (like gaming) on moderately recent hardware will be an amazing day. I recently tried it with my gtx 970 and was pleasantly surprised when it didn't bring me to a blank screen. It handled the first monitor perfectly. Unfortunately the second monitor had a corrupt, squashed, flickering image.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix
      old Radeon Clover code not being actively worked on due to AMD's focus on the separate ROCm effort
      I'm still wondering if my initial "1080Ti-beating" Luxmark results with Clover on an RX580 are broken, or "on to something" and replicable.

Comment

Originally posted by utrrrongeeb View Post
        I'm still wondering if my initial "1080Ti-beating" Luxmark results with Clover on an RX580 are broken, or "on to something" and replicable.
        I'd guess it's a broken result, but it's remotely possible. CL optimization is a tricky thing to do do right across GPU vendors.

I was mostly just glad that we figured out that clover was broken on Debian due to a Debian packaging issue that broke libclc.

​​​​​just to be clear, clover for amd isn't abandoned, it's just up to the community to maintain it. It still has a use for AMD chips that will never receive rocm support (hd5000-gcn1.0)

Comment

Is this related to a nouveau vulcan driver? I have a gtx670 and I am amazed at how well it plays games, I don't see graphics issues in games, only some weird surface issues on the desktop if it has been used for a while. Only real problem is having to manually reclocking it.

I want to try and play gta5 on it but I looks like the only decent way to do that through wine is with dxvk, and that doesn't work right now with nouveau.

Comment

Originally posted by lectrode View Post
            The day when people can use the Nouveau driver for heavy workloads (like gaming) on moderately recent hardware will be an amazing day.
            the day when people stop sponsoring most linux-hostile hw vendor will be even more amazing

Comment

Originally posted by benjamin545 View Post
              Is this related to a nouveau vulcan driver? I have a gtx670 and I am amazed at how well it plays games, I don't see graphics issues in games, only some writemyessaytoday surface issues on the desktop if it has been used for a while. Only real problem is having to manually reclocking it.

I want to try and play gta5 on it but I looks like the only decent way to do that through wine is with dxvk, and that doesn't work right now with nouveau.
              Isn't nouveau driver supported by DXVK? If you install a supported graphics driver and Vulkan dependencies?

Comment

Working...
              X