No announcement yet.

Mesa RadeonSI Lands FreeSync / Adaptive-Sync Support That Pair With Linux 4.21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa RadeonSI Lands FreeSync / Adaptive-Sync Support That Pair With Linux 4.21

Phoronix: Mesa RadeonSI Lands FreeSync / Adaptive-Sync Support That Pair With Linux 4.21

With the FreeSync support for AMD GPUs having been merged this week into Linux 4.21, the associated user-space patches are landing now for rounding out this AMD Radeon FreeSync / Adaptive-Sync / VRR support as we enter 2019...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

AMD sure knows how to time a Christmas present!

Going to be really interesting to see if any desktop environment can implement support this year on X or Wayland.

Comment

Well this is great to read. But now I'll have to spend a extra to get a good freesync monitor. Any info of if it will include the HDR that is required for Freesync 2 ?
      Hopefully Freesync makes it in time for Ubuntu 19.04

Comment

Can anyone recommend a good monitor with these parameters:

* 2560 x 1440
        * 144 Hz max refresh rate and full range adaptive sync.
        * IPS panel with good colors.
        * low response time

I found some mention of upcoming Acer Nitro XV272U, but no idea how good they are.
        Last edited by shmerl; 28 December 2018, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

* 2560 x 1440
          * IPS panel
          * low response time

I found some mention of upcoming Acer Nitro XV272U, but no idea how good they are.
          Swap the IPS Panel for VA and you'll have some luck. Otherwise, SOL. You'll have to wait another year or more before IPS 4K/120/144Hz becomes a possibility.

All the 144Hz panel sacrifice color gamut immediately, and less than handful exist for IPS.

LG offers one for 1080p, not 1440p

Get information on the LG 34UC79G-B. Find pictures, reviews, technical specifications, and features for this 34 Inch Class UltraWide Gaming Monitor

Color gamut is utter garbage on it.

When you get to quality, 144hz goes, IPS goes.

For half the Hz this is probably near the top

Get information on the LG 34'' Class 21:9 UltraWide® Full HD IPS LED Monitor (34'' Diagonal) (34UM68-P). Find pictures, reviews, and tech specs.

No compromises on Color Gamut, IPS, but 75Hz max.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

* 2560 x 1440
            * IPS panel
            * low response time

That sounds pretty much like my Asus MG279Q, but with the following caveats:
            - Modeswitching is sometimes buggy @ 144hz so I prefer running it @ 120hz. I think this depends on what graphics card it is paired with.
            - Takes a few seconds to get out of standby mode. Slightly annoying when GDM goes back into standby just a few seconds after the display wakes up.
            - Default Freesync-range is only 35-90Hz, but luckily this can be changed by modifying EDID. I prefer 44-120hz which works like a charm. 57-144Hz also works.
            - Mine seems to be badly sealed as I've had tiny little insects crawl into the panel two or three times since I bought it august 2015. I eventually got them out though but I'm scared that it might happen again and an insect might get permanently stuck which looks a bit like a black pixel fault.

The good things:
            - Excellent colours and image quality
            - As low latency as you will get in an IPS which is to say it's very good
            - Not much motion blur for an IPS although it depends on refresh rates
            - Minimalistic design without much of the over the top gamer-branding you see on a lot of monitors in this market segment.
            - Good stand with all the adjustments you would expect
            - Good and intuitive controls for the OSD
            Last edited by Brisse; 28 December 2018, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
              Swap the IPS Panel for VA and you'll have some luck. Otherwise, SOL. You'll have to wait another year or more before IPS 4K/120/144Hz becomes a possibility.
              I don't need 4K, that's an overkill and no GPU can handle 4K at framerates that can benefit from 144 Hz refresh rate. 2.5K is more like it, that's why I explicitly mentioned 2560 x 1440. VA colors are a lot worse than IPS, so it's not something I'm planning to downgrade to.
              Last edited by shmerl; 28 December 2018, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

That sounds pretty much like my Asus MG279Q, but with the following caveats:
                - Default Freesync-range is only 35-90Hz, but luckily this can be changed by modifying EDID. I prefer 44-120hz which works like a charm. 57-144Hz also works.
                I've seen it, but was put off by limited sync range. Good to know that it can be modified. Overall, Acer one I mentioned above seems very similar, and it doesn't have sync range limit by default. It should supposedly come out in 2019.

I'm not in a rush to buy it, since it will probably require a Navi card to take advantage of resolution and refresh rate.
                Last edited by shmerl; 28 December 2018, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Why aren't those monitors able to handle a 0...144 Hz range? I thought that besides avoiding overlapping images, another target is to reduce power consumption when nothing happens on the screen?

Comment

I bought an Mbest 1440p165Hz monitor for ~$300 on eBay. Very satisfied. Colors are a little off but too lazy to calibrate.

The FreeSync on it is amazing.

Comment

Working...
                    X