No announcement yet.

Gallium D3D9 "Nine" Support Gets New Patches To Help Fight Lag Without Tearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gallium D3D9 "Nine" Support Gets New Patches To Help Fight Lag Without Tearing

Phoronix: Gallium D3D9 "Nine" Support Gets New Patches To Help Fight Lag Without Tearing

While most Linux gamers these days are mesmerized by DXVK for mapping Direct3D 10/11 to Vulkan for better handling Windows games on Linux, for those with older Direct3D 9 era games there is still the Gallium Nine initiative for D3D9 implemented as a Mesa Gallium state tracker. A new patch series posted this weekend will make that Gallium Nine experience even better...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Gallium Nine combined with Zink will be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
      Gallium Nine combined with Zink will be interesting.
      Why ? If Intel gets a gallium driver, Zink is not needed to run Nine on Intel. And don't expect going through Vulkan (thus an additionnal layer) to speed up rendering. Going through a properly optimized gallium driver will stay the faster way.
      As for NVidia, well they could maybe use Zink, but not sure what's the status around NVidia support of DRI3/Present which Nine uses, like mesa ogl.

Comment

Glad to see Gallium Nine still gets worked on. I wonder if Axel Davy plans to make a Gallium Eleven? I like DXVK but it'll never be as fast as a native implementation.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
          I like DXVK but it'll never be as fast as a native implementation.
          Why not?

Comment

Glad to see Gallium Nine still gets worked on. I wonder if Axel Davy plans to make a Gallium Eleven? I like DXVK but it'll never be as fast as a native implementation.
            Well, the truth is, at least as far as I understand it, is that Vulkan is a bit lower level than Gallium and it has additional features, so it's highly likely a Vulkan implementation could be higher performance

Comment

That thread_submit option uses a CPU thread to delay sending of the last rendered buffer to the X.Org Server until it is finished rendering
              What about Wayland, or does that not need to worry about such a thing?

Comment

I've been looking for a simple way to add Gallium Nine to wine... this is the only PPA I know of, but it's behind on 3.18 at the moment and supports only Ubuntu 18.04 bionic.

Any ideas? Now that I'm compiling my own Mesa with gallium nine, I'd love to have the support without having to also maintain compiling my own wine + staging patches + gallium + etc as well.

Comment

Unlikely to be a gallium Eleven. That would be too much work for a small team of volunteers that write code in their spare time.
                  DXVK seems to get some love via specific Vulkan extensions. If all hard to implement paths, or unoptimal performance wise get worked around with extensions, maybe we could hope to reach good performance ?

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  What about Wayland, or does that not need to worry about such a thing?
                  XWayland enables to run X applications (wine is one) under Wayland. It should work well.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Well, the truth is, at least as far as I understand it, is that Vulkan is a bit lower level than Gallium and it has additional features, so it's highly likely a Vulkan implementation could be higher performance
                    Previously I was told that Gallium3D's API matches D3D11 better than Vulkan and so would offer better performances, since the mapping would be better.

Comment

Working...
                    X