Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Current Performance Of Virgl3D, Future Plans

Phoronix: The Current Performance Of Virgl3D, Future Plans

Last week at XDC2018 in Spain, Elie Tournier of Collabora presented on the current state of the Virgl effort for allowing OpenGL acceleration provided by a host's system within a QEMU/VirtIO-GPU virtual machine environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It sounds like it will be practical for providing GPU acceleration to desktops running inside virtual machines.

Will this likely get seemlessly integrated with QEMU and VirtualBox?

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
      It sounds like it will be practical for providing GPU acceleration to desktops running inside virtual machines.

It's been available in QEMU for a while. If starting QEMU directly, you just add the option "gl=on" ("-display sdl,gl=on") to your command line. I never got it to work with virt-manager or virsh, but honestly I haven't tried that hard. Works flawlessly when directly using qemu.

As for VirtualBox, I doubt it.

Comment

That's pretty decent performance. The big question is not so much "will it run Heaven" as "will it run an accelerated desktop and typical apps".

I didn't get to see the demo but at first glance this seems very promising.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post

It's been available in QEMU for a while. If starting QEMU directly, you just add the option "gl=on" ("-display sdl,gl=on") to your command line. I never got it to work with virt-manager or virsh, but honestly I haven't tried that hard. Works flawlessly when directly using qemu.

As for VirtualBox, I doubt it.
          Thanks.

How have you found the performance, appearance and stability? What applications or desktop environments have you used that have exercised the OpenGL acceleration?

Comment

Unfortunately at the current state VirGL is almost useless, because it supports only Unix sockets on Spice instead of TCP sockets. That means that you can use it only on the same machine you're running the server on.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
              Unfortunately at the current state VirGL is almost useless, because it supports only Unix sockets on Spice instead of TCP sockets. That means that you can use it only on the same machine you're running the server on.
              you are not aware of remote desktop in 2018?

Comment

Thanks.

How have you found the performance, appearance and stability? What applications or desktop environments have you used that have exercised the OpenGL acceleration?
                In my experience, works great. I've mostly done simple things. Like Manjaro in a VM, without Virgil it kept going into software rendering mode.

Performance-wise, looking at the chart in the article, I'd say 1/3rd of bare-metal sounds about right.

I haven't tried it myself, but there's a snap package that has everything included called qemu-virgil. Seems the commands are the same as qemu, but you just start the command with qemu-virgil instead of qemu. For those that don't like headaches.

Comment

Getting this working well will probably be of much interest to Google for it's Linux support with chromebooks as it's Linux is a containerized VM based partly on QEMU technologies.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                    Getting this working well will probably be of much interest to Google for it's Linux support with chromebooks as it's Linux is a containerized VM based partly on QEMU technologies.
                    Are you talking about Crouton? Because from what I understand, it's more of a chroot type of deal. A little bit like LXC, it runs on the same kernel, and just isolates what's running. It's not a virtualization similar to QEMU. QEMU is more of an emulator really, and QEMU with KVM is an emulated software-defined platform where the cpu is actually the real cpu exposed by calling the processors virtualization instruction set.

Comment

Working...
                    X