No announcement yet.

VMware's SVGA Gallium3D Driver Enables OpenGL 3.3 Compatibility Profile Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware's SVGA Gallium3D Driver Enables OpenGL 3.3 Compatibility Profile Support

Phoronix: VMware's SVGA Gallium3D Driver Enables OpenGL 3.3 Compatibility Profile Support

In preparation for the upcoming VMware Fusion 11 and VMware Workstation 15 releases, their Mesa/Gallium3D-based driver stack for Linux guest GPU acceleration has been seeing a variety of updates...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The latest now to report on their SVGA Gallium3D driver is supporting OpenGL 3.3 in a compatibility profile context. Up until this week, the compatibility context had only supported OpenGL 3.3.
    Probably a typo somewhere.

Comment

I'd really wish that VirtualBox did some progress in bypassing OpenGL/OpenCL/Vulkan from the guest to the host. The current implementation is OpenGL-only, and really really limited (I think there haven't been any notable changes for the last decade, or almost). If VirtualBox was a bit more interested in graphics, it would shine in a spectacular way (it's already my favourite VM software, but their graphics limitations are quite annoying... you end up installing a Mesa software implementation in the guest if you want compatibility and to workaround some bugs that they have in the OpenGL hardware bypassing implementation that they use).

Comment

I don't think Oracle really care about the graphics/video part of their VirtualBox, in fact they don't really care about any of it because it doesn't make them money!
        If doing so wouldn't cause public outrage and a loss of face they would probably axe it altogether!

Comment

I spent something like two years screaming at Oracle to rebase their graphics driver on Gallium3D. One of the responses I got from them even landed an article here. Eventually, I stopped wasting my breath.

Comment

Why each VM solution has their own graphics virtualization solution instead all of them using the same?

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
              I spent something like two years screaming at Oracle to rebase their graphics driver on Gallium3D. One of the responses I got from them even landed an article here. Eventually, I stopped wasting my breath.
              Wow, what was that article?

Comment

Oh, I found, it probably was this one https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...item&px=ODE2NA

Comment

Yeah, that's the one. I still can't believe they didn't want to do it. I felt like I was talking to stuffed suits instead of engineers.

EDIT -> LOL: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82614
                  Last edited by wswartzendruber; 22 September 2018, 08:24 PM. Reason: Adding a forum link.

Comment

I think I've seen the VMWare driver listed as an option for QEMU with virt-manager before? Is it possible to use it out of VMWare products?

Comment

Working...
                    X