No announcement yet.

VMware's SVGA Gallium3D Driver Enables OpenGL 3.3 Compatibility Profile Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware's SVGA Gallium3D Driver Enables OpenGL 3.3 Compatibility Profile Support

Phoronix: VMware's SVGA Gallium3D Driver Enables OpenGL 3.3 Compatibility Profile Support

In preparation for the upcoming VMware Fusion 11 and VMware Workstation 15 releases, their Mesa/Gallium3D-based driver stack for Linux guest GPU acceleration has been seeing a variety of updates...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...GA-GL33-Compat

The latest now to report on their SVGA Gallium3D driver is supporting OpenGL 3.3 in a compatibility profile context. Up until this week, the compatibility context had only supported OpenGL 3.3.
    Probably a typo somewhere.

Comment

I'd really wish that VirtualBox did some progress in bypassing OpenGL/OpenCL/Vulkan from the guest to the host. The current implementation is OpenGL-only, and really really limited (I think there haven't been any notable changes for the last decade, or almost). If VirtualBox was a bit more interested in graphics, it would shine in a spectacular way (it's already my favourite VM software, but their graphics limitations are quite annoying... you end up installing a Mesa software implementation in the guest if you want compatibility and to workaround some bugs that they have in the OpenGL hardware bypassing implementation that they use).

Comment

I don't think Oracle really care about the graphics/video part of their VirtualBox, in fact they don't really care about any of it because it doesn't make them money!
        If doing so wouldn't cause public outrage and a loss of face they would probably axe it altogether!

Comment

I spent something like two years screaming at Oracle to rebase their graphics driver on Gallium3D. One of the responses I got from them even landed an article here. Eventually, I stopped wasting my breath.

Comment

Why each VM solution has their own graphics virtualization solution instead all of them using the same?

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
              I spent something like two years screaming at Oracle to rebase their graphics driver on Gallium3D. One of the responses I got from them even landed an article here. Eventually, I stopped wasting my breath.
              Wow, what was that article?

Comment

Oh, I found, it probably was this one https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...item&px=ODE2NA

Comment

Yeah, that's the one. I still can't believe they didn't want to do it. I felt like I was talking to stuffed suits instead of engineers.

EDIT -> LOL: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82614
                  Last edited by wswartzendruber; 22 September 2018, 08:24 PM. Reason: Adding a forum link.

Comment

I think I've seen the VMWare driver listed as an option for QEMU with virt-manager before? Is it possible to use it out of VMWare products?

Comment

Working...
                    X