No announcement yet.

Mesa Can Finally Build With Almost No Compiler Warnings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

>Soooo the code is correct so there's nothing to change. But how would you change the compiler so that it knows that a specific path can't be longer than 4096? Let me know if you find out

I don't know what is needed in newer gcc versions, last time i compiled C we were at version 6.

But putting a length assert might do it? Or what pal666 said.

Comment

Slow Friday? :P

Comment

Originally posted by pete910 View Post

Have we playing with a snake today
        Yes...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Quite an achievement. I think the "no warning" zealots are wrong tho, a lot of warnings are just pure bullshit which doesn't effect anything.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
            Quite an achievement. I think the "no warning" zealots are wrong tho, a lot of warnings are just pure bullshit which doesn't effect anything.
            There's a systemic problem if there's an impedance mismatch between warnings and pro developer intentions. One example is switch-case. In C/C++/Java you can't guarantee that all cases break and the values are not uninitialized in some cases. The solution would be to use functional pattern matching and total patterns.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

It's not very motivating to fix mysterious issues caused by careless mediocre coders when they can have all the fun focusing on shiny new features.
              Normally I would agree, however most of these people are getting paid by companies to implement new features. Huge, huge difference. I certainly don't get to choose what I spend my time on when I code for work.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                pass size, so compiler could ensure that code is correct.
                Maybe it would be better to use a language that implements memory ownership as a feature.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post

Normally I would agree, however most of these people are getting paid by companies to implement new features. Huge, huge difference. I certainly don't get to choose what I spend my time on when I code for work.
                  Anyway, fixing other people's bugs is something many don't wish to do. Probably explains why it's so tempting to just fork or reimplement from scratch than to fix broken existing systems.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                    Then fix it before your next release. Either in your code, or in the official compiler you use. GCC gives warnings when it should not? Use clang.
                    This really just betrays your inexperience, especially the last part.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
                      Maybe it would be better to use a language that implements memory ownership as a feature.
                      mesa already uses c++ in some places. well, c++ by file type, not necessarily by contents
                      Last edited by pal666; 22 September 2018, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X